A Year In Review

A Reflection On All 12 Months Of My Best Year

Thank you for everything, 2018.

217
Rachel Neal

2018 has probably been the best year of my life. There were so many milestones and so many amazing memories that I wouldn't change for the world.

I've had my rough share of years, and while this one did have some moments where I felt like giving up, I'm glad I didn't because it turned out to be a year that I'll never forget.

I thought it would be a good idea to go through 2018 month by month and highlight my favorite memory in each. I usually don't reflect on things, but I thought I should start to remember the good parts in life.

1. January

My friend Jameson and I driving around during golden hour.

Rachel Neal

January was a refreshing time with new beginnings. I remember being with my friends for most of this month, but most importantly I remember starting to drive and not being scared to anymore. I got my license in 2017 but didn't start taking the car out until January because driving gave me so much anxiety. This is the month that I faced my fear and began to love driving, especially with my friends.

2. February

My first college visit at Parsons in New York City.

Rachel Neal

February was when I had my first college visit - and I instantly fell in love. My whole life I struggled with feeling like I never belonged anywhere, but when I had my first college visit I felt like I was at home. It made me excited to graduate and finally move onto something that would only help me to prosper and grow.

3. March

My 18th birthday party

Rachel Neal

March is my favorite month, mostly because it's my birthday month. This year I turned 18, a huge milestone for anyone. I spent my birthday with my best friends at the time, and it's a birthday that I'll never forget because of how much fun, thoughtful and loving my friends and family are. My party is definitely a moment I wish I could relive again and again.

4. April

Lorde doing what she does best.

Rachel Neal

April was when I saw my favorite singer Lorde for the third time. She had taken a 2-3 year hiatus prior, so this was super exciting for me to finally go to a concert of hers again. I got the tickets on presale back in the summer, so this was a long time coming, and she didn't disappoint. The energy she radiates and witnessing an arena filled with people who share the same love for an artist as you do will always be a feeling I'll never forget.

5. May

My best friend Jameson and I before driving to senior prom.

Rachel Neal

May was an average month, so I decided I'll highlight something that happened on June 1, since a lot happened in June. Before I graduated, I attended senior prom with one of my best friends. This night was so much fun, and definitely one I can't wait to look back on when I'm older. I remember dancing the night away surrounded by some of my favorite people, drinking way too many Shirley Temples, and taking countless photos with everyone.

6. June

Holding my high school diploma.

Rachel Neal

June is when I finally graduated high school. This day felt like a long time coming, and so when it was finally here it was like a huge sigh of relief. High school definitely wasn't for me, and I couldn't wait until college to start fresh and really find myself. This was an emotional day for me, and I'm glad I got to spend it with my family and friends.

7. July

My graduation party during golden hour.

Rachel Neal

July was a beautiful month and it was when I had my graduation party. I LOVE parties and so this one was so special because almost all of my friends and family attended. It was extremely hot outside, but we all made it work and it was just a day where I was completely happy.

8. August

Me sitting in front of the infamous Owl statue at Temple.

Rachel Neal

Late August is when I started my first semester of college at Temple. Definitely an adjustment, but day after day I prosper to love it more and more. So happy with all of the things I accomplished my first semester, and I can't wait for what's to come.

9. September

My beautiful desk.

Rachel Neal

September was a month filled with endless essays and homework, and this might be a basic memory, but this is the month I finally got a desk after not having one my whole life. Before this, I would always do my homework on my bed (and eventually fall asleep there) so this was a huge upgrade and allowed me to feel productive, and ultimately it probably led me to getting the amazing grades that I did.

10. October

The best concert I've ever attended.

Rachel Neal

October is when I went to the Twenty One Pilots concert. I haven't seen them since I was a sophomore in high school this was a huge moment for me (I love music if you couldn't tell), and this concert was just so special. I went with my friend that I saw them the first time with, and it was just such a fun night of reconnecting and living in the moment. To top it off, the singer of the band popped up in the crowd a few rows behind from where I was, so that is definitely something that every other concert will have to live up to.

11. November

Me and a few of my friends out bowling.

Rachel Neal

November was a fun month spent with friends and family. Nothing huge happened during this month, but I know I saw my friends I don't get to see so much a lot more and it was really memorable.

12. December

Me and brothers (aka my best friends) on Christmas Eve.

Rachel Neal

December was probably my most rewarding month, since my first semester of college ended and I got to relax, spend time with family, make plans with friends who were away at different colleges, and of course, celebrate Christmas! This month is ending perfectly.

There you go! I summed up every huge moment of my life each month. Each memory holds an important part of my heart and it helped shaped this year into what it was, and more importantly, it helped me to become a better version of myself.

I hope you all had an amazing year, and I can't wait to see what 2019 brings.