My sexuality, my truth

Coming Out Day Spreads Love & Positivity

October 11th is National Coming Out Day!

43
Chau Tang

Last year, the very first article I wrote for Odyssey was about my coming out experience my parents. On that day, I came out to the world too.

During the time I wrote that article, my friend was Editor-in-Chief, EIC, for the Odyssey and after she read my article, she said, "I read your article and wanted to tell you I'm proud of you. We (the LGBTQ+ community) accept you and welcome you with open arms. If you need to talk, let me know." I paraphrased it because I could not possibly remember verbatim what she said. However, I remembered there were tears in my eyes when I read her message.

On the day I came out, it was not an ideal moment for me because I would've loved to have heard, "We love and accept you no matter what," from my parents. However, that was not the case. My mother laughed and told my father, "And she says she's gay!"

I had to fight back the tears because I was in public. However, I will not stop being who I am. Parents have taught us to be honest. Well, I am very honest about my truth and just wanted to be accepted.

I never thought I should have to come out. In my mind, I thought since I was bisexual, whoever I date will come out eventually. It wasn't until there was so much hate LGBTQ+individuals were receiving because of who they are. We should fight the cis-system, always!

Since there were so many stereotypes as well, I had to speak up and say something. We should not have to deal with negativity just because of who we love.

I am also sick of being asked, "When are you getting a boyfriend?" Automatically I am categorized as a heterosexual individual when indeed I am not. The world is always evolving so we, as humans, such evolve with it.

At Cleveland State, there was a National Coming Out Day event with a couple of stations where you could take a picture with various flags of your choice, you could also take buttons with your identity such as, she/her, they/them, ally, trans ally, and I'm gay, just to name a few and there was food as well!

It was also a beautiful windy day so when you took a picture with a flag with your choice, you could feel like you are superman! That's how I felt. I believe that this is the second National Coming Out Day event on campus and just seeing a lot of allies and LGBTQ+ individuals there, it felt like I was accepted. There was so much love and positivity from everyone I've interacted with.

On events such as this, it's really important to me because it made me feel like I was not alone. It was as if I did not have to fight negative people alone and it was a place to be proud of who we are.

What a year for me as a human being as well! Last year I came out, this year, I went to a Hayley Kiyoko concert, which was the only place I've ever danced and sang in public and I went to my first pride festival.

When we come out to people, ideally, we would love to hear, "I accept and love you no matter what." Whether it's from parents, relatives or friends. That's all we want to hear. Of course, reality doesn't always give you want you want, so let's live how we want to. This life is ours. Let's not waste it but fighting and telling others what's right or wrong.

We are taught to live truthfully. So, let us live and speak our truth.