A Whole Year Abroad: Pros and Cons

A Whole Year Abroad: Pros and Cons

The pros and cons of studying abroad for an entire academic year.

1255
A Whole Year Abroad: Pros and Cons
Steve Ruark

As a student currently studying abroad for 10 months in Germany, I get a lot of study abroad-related questions. 99 percent of my other friends that studied abroad were only abroad for one semester, and I’m always fielding questions about why I chose to apply to a program that let me go abroad for a whole academic year (10 months). For anyone out there who’s trying to decide if going abroad for a year is right for them, here’s a quick list of some pros and cons of studying abroad for a whole year.

The Pros:

1. More time to adjust

I’ve heard from many people that when they go abroad for only three or four months, as soon as their abroad city begins to feel like home and they begin to feel comfortable, the experience is over. Going abroad for a whole academic year allows you to be abroad for you entire adjustment period plus some! Once you feel at home in your abroad city, you’ll still have another half a year to genuinely feel like you live there, and aren’t just a tourist or visitor.

2. More adventure

More time abroad means more weekends and academic breaks to travel! Everyone hails traveling as one of the best parts of going abroad, and when you’re abroad for two semesters instead of one, you have double the time to visit neighboring countries and cities!

3. Deeper friendships

People always talk about their study abroad friends lasting a lifetime, but what if you could hang out with them for 10 months instead of four or five? Studying abroad for a year gives you the chance to develop deeper relationships -- not just with your friends, but with professors and your roommates or host family! Going abroad for the whole year allows you to have the most fun with your abroad friends before returning home.

4. Experience a different academic system

Often abroad students, especially those only gone for one semester, receive special treatment-- they need to start the semester late or leave early, for example. Maybe they need to complete exams differently or at a different time than domestic students. While some of these stipulations may still be true for studying abroad a whole year, a lot of them won’t be. Being an abroad student for an entire academic year gives you the opportunity to more fully immerse yourself in a foreign academic system, and really experience what it’s like to be a student in your chosen country. University systems can vary so widely across the world, and getting to experience a different one than your own is a very cool learning experience not many people have!

5. Bragging rights

Studying abroad for a whole year is impressive! It shows dedication and skill, and looks great on applications and resumes. Especially if the country you’re studying in is related to your degree (for example, my major is German and I’m studying in Germany), having been abroad for an entire academic year can be very impressive to potential employers. Even if you’re studying something totally unrelated to your abroad experience, just the act of going abroad for a year shows that you have problem-solving skills, talent and drive!

The Cons:

1. Homesickness

This point is pretty self-explanatory. Being away from your friends and family for one semester can be challenging, and a whole year even more so. Especially if you are the only one from your school on your abroad program, it's entirely up to you to make new friends and create a social life while abroad. Keeping in touch with folks from back home is very easy with the right technology (FaceTime, Skype etc.), but it won’t stop you from feeling homesick every now and then. You don’t want to spent the majority of your abroad experience counting down the days until you leave! If you know that homesickness is something you struggle with, spending a whole year abroad might not be right for you.

2. Holidays

This is similar to the previous point, but when you are in another country for 10 months or more, you’re going to miss out on some important dates that you’d normally celebrate with your family and/or friends. Birthdays, Christmas (and/or other winter holidays), Thanksgiving etc. can be difficult to celebrate alone, especially if these holidays aren’t celebrated in your host country or you don’t have friends who also celebrate them. Traveling home for big dates is always an option, but international flights can add up fast. As a personal anecdote: during my 10 months abroad I have missed (or am going to miss) the birthdays of my mom, dad, brother, grandma and best friend, as well as Thanksgiving and Easter. I was able to go home for Christmas, but this isn’t an option for everyone.

3. Academics

For many students, it’s relatively easy to take a semester where they aren’t fulfilling any major or degree requirements. Two semesters can be more difficult. Often, classes taken abroad don’t count for certain requirements, and going through all the paperwork with your school has the potential to be a frustrating process. With enough planning, spending a year abroad is definitely possible, but it may mean you’ll need to take extra classes for a semester or two before you leave! For some people, this might not be the most appealing option.

4. Expenses

At some universities, going abroad can be very expensive. If you have to pay for your own tuition, flights, housing, food etc. and these things are more expensive abroad than at home, going for two semesters instead of one is only going to multiply these costs. If your university provides poor financial assistance for abroad students or you don't have the extra money to spare for going abroad, then a whole year abroad might not be the right option for you.

There you go! A few pros and cons of studying abroad for an entire academic year rather than one semester. While going abroad for a year certainly isn't for everyone, with the right preparation and attitude it can be a fantastic experience! I highly recommend looking into the different programs your university offers and deciding what abroad journey is right for you.