7 Things I Have Learned Within The First Week Of Working In A Restaurant

It was suppose to be a summer job, but it turned into so much more.

4
Photo by ELEVATE from Pexels

In May of 2019, I got my first job at a pizza joint in my college town. One of my best friends worked there and I decided it would be fun to be her co-worker! When I started I was only going to work for two or three months through the summer, but when school came back around I decided to stay because I enjoy my job and coworkers. I have almost a year of working in a restaurant under my belt and I have learned a ton.

Some lessons in life can only be taught through the foodservice industry; therefore, I think everybody should experience it at least once.

Pouring beer is the most intimidating part of the job

Messing up a beer pour in front of a customer is the worst. Overtime, your skills improve but in the beginning there is a lot of foam and 'oops'.

Communication is key

Between the front of the house and the back of the house, I have learned that it is crucial to be able to communicate when is needed and what has happened if there is an issue.

My people skills have improved

Interacting with customers and making them feel welcomed is apart of the hospitality aspect of our job. I have gotten better at making small talk and remembering regulars.

Customers are USUALLY right

The saying "customers are always right" is an appropriate standard to hold on most occasions. Customers are paying for their food and the experience, and they deserve to get that. Although, I have learned that the occasional customer will take advantage of that and don't handle conflict with the same respect we do as a company.

It is so much harder than you expect

In restaurants there is a process and every stage of that process needs to be correct. Servers do a lot more fine detail and behind the scenes than I could have imagined.

If you can't afford to eat out, then don't

Most servers do not make minimum wage or even close to it. When you don't tip, you wasted their time and efforts. The price on the bill represents the food you ate, not the service you received. Always tip according to how the service is, but servers know know the difference of when we give good and bad service.

Co-workers are a team

Nobody can run the show alone, we all have to work together.