Writing Tips From Stephen King

Writing Tips From Stephen King

Writing and grammar tips from the King of the art himself.

34
Writing Tips From Stephen King
Entrepreneur

Writing Tips from Stephen King

This past week, I finished reading Stephen King: On Writing, A Memoir of the Craft. Half of the book was a memoir of King’s early years, and half was filled with grammar and writing tips. I found the tips to be very helpful, and I’ve already noticed improvement in my own work. Here are some of my favorites:

1. On the use of vocabulary,” Remember that the basic root of vocabulary is to use the first word that comes to your mind if it is appropriate and colorful. If you hesitate and cogitate, you will come up with another word – but it probably won’t be as good as your first one, or as close to what you really mean.”

2. On why we write,” Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page.”

3. On what not to do,” I have my own dislikes – I believe that anyone using the phrase ‘That’s so cool’ should have to stand in the corner and that those using the far more odious phrases ‘at this point in time’ and ‘at the end of the day’ should be sent to bed without supper.”

4. On fearing writing,” I’m convinced that fear is at the root of most bad writing. If one is writing for one’s own pleasure, that fear may be mild – timidity is the word I’ve used here.”

5. On how to be a writer,” If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There’s no way around these two things that I’m aware of, no shortcut.”