What To Do Instead Of Writing Your Odyssey Article (As An EIC)

Tips and tricks to be the best procrastinator you can be

12
OmHarmonics

As an EIC for Odyssey, I get to read and edit content submitted by my amazing team each week. As a junior in college, I get to try and balance schoolwork with a healthy social life. As both, I just get tired; so, sometimes, I put off doing easy things (such as writing my own Odyssey article) until the very last minute by distracting myself with less important tasks. For my fellow EICs (or anyone really), here are my go-to options to avoid writing my article.

1. Clean

If anyone were to visit my dorm and find it in pristine condition, that's a clear sign that I'm putting off doing any kind of work. In my defense, however, I can't honestly be expected to do quality writing if I know my room is a mess.

2. Ask my team

Nothing says "I'm totally focused on Odyssey work right now" quite like asking your team what they'll be writing about. It's a great way to keep everyone on task while keeping the spotlight off yourself

3. Nag my team

Some of the girls on my Odyssey team have also become good friends of mine. Which, for them, sometimes means sitting in the lounge of our dorm building while I say, "Work on your article" every few minutes. It's a foolproof plan...until they ask what I'm writing.

4. Sleep

I won't lie - I love sleep more than just about anything. If I'm not in class or working, I'm sleeping. If I'm not answering texts or Snapchats, I'm sleeping. If I'm not procrastinating my Odyssey article in some other way, I'm sleeping.

5. Watch a movie

Just last week I watched Moana, Wreck-It Ralph, and Monsters University all for the first time. Procrastination really is a great way to catch up on all those movies you've been dying to see.