How To Write For Odyssey

Writing For Odyssey Is So Easy, Here Are 6 Things To Remember

You don't have to be anything close to a professional writer to write for Odyssey.

50
Friends

I have had Odyssey articles come up on my feed multiple times a day. Now, if you're anything like me, you probably thought, "I can't believe these people who have studied journalism for years and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts are so relatable to me in these articles!" That's because they are closer to you than you think!

I had the same thoughts running through my mind after every article I have read on this platform until I got a call from a student at my school asking if I wanted to join Odyssey. At first, I didn't realize it was the same Odyssey that I have been reading articles on all along. I enjoyed writing but I was far from a best-selling author. I was ready for extensive weekly meetings and hardcore brainstorming on my next article. Turns out, that is not the case at all and I am excited to start on this awesome experience. Here are some things to remember.

1. You can write about whatever you want

My favorite thing about Odyssey is that you can write about anything and everything your heart desires from cool dessert spots in your city to video game tips to going through a breakup. The platform is yours and every article is unique to your own experiences.

2. Wherever you want!

There is no set time during the week that you have to sit down and write your article and make sure it is done. I am currently writing my piece in my bed far away from campus and will be editing it in a resort in Jamaica.

3. There is no application/resume process

All it took for me to be a part of my school's team was a direct message on Instagram and a phone call explaining the gist and there I was, a new member of Odyssey.

4. You don’t have to be anything close to a writer

I was still studying biochemistry and collecting isopods when I became a part of Odyssey, so you really have nothing to worry about.

5. You have support

Your grammar and writing skills do not have to be that of J.K. Rowling. There are people that will help you throughout the process, editing your piece before it gets published.

6. You have an outlet for your thoughts

If there is something running through your mind and none of your friends seem to get it, there are tons of users who will love to hear what you have to say and relate to you more than your best friend of 11 years ever will!

And remember... I was in your shoes, reading that last sentence of a relatable Odyssey article just like you are right now!