Writing Again

Writing Again

It's time to begin my writer's journey yet again.

25
Writing Again

When I was in grade school, my best friend at the time had this idea to write a novel. She carried around stapled, tattered pieces of notebook paper in folders as she produced random chapters of some dystopian plot line. This was the first time I had ever felt inclined to write a book. Before I had met her I had always written for classes, but that wasn't the same as writing for myself. After starting, I figured out I was a writer at heart, but I never could finish a draft of anything that I started. Writing had been something that I would pick up at random times during the year and then quit a couple weeks later.

So here I am, writing again. My second time on The Odyssey and my close to a millionth time attempting to create something interesting enough to have people read. This time I don't want to give up or quit because things get a little stressful or my writers block acts up. Being a writer isn't something that is perfected in one night. It takes time and practice to figure out your own style and how you like words to be portrayed on a page. Writing isn't easy and it is dreaded by many. Students hate to write, I hear it every time an assignment is given that involves putting ideas or facts down on a page. No one ever really wants to write more than they have to. I don't blame anyone for complaining. I have no issue with it because I have always loved to write and I wish that's how it was for everyone, but then I would have some extra competition when it comes to telling stories for pleasure.

I still am unsure about the type I writing style that I have. I like to believe that I am eloquent and oh so lovely yet, if I'm not, at least I have a goal to reach within my writing career. I have no reason to not try and perfect my writing skills. I have an entire life ahead of me that will be filled with exciting adventures and painful plots that will only give me more topics to write stories about.

Writing takes a lot of time and practice and patience. It is an activity that drives me crazy but also helps me share something I am passionate about with the world. There are people out there in the world who have published books that have been picked up less than some of the articles I've written and there are other people who have published material that will never grow old, material that will live on throughout generations to come. One day I might end up writing a book, but I could also just end up writing 500 word articles online. Either way I am happy being a writer. Nothing brings me more joy than knowing that my work is out there for people to see. Being able to share a part of myself with so many makes me feel a little less than just a number in the world population.

All I can do now is thank my friend from grade school who pushed my unknowingly into writing for myself. Without her, I wouldn't understand that power that comes from a pen and paper.