As Writers We Must Remember How Mighty The Pen Is

Our responsibility as writers doesn't end once we meet our deadlines.

20
Heidi Owens

As writers, we must write what we know, which may be a no-brainer, but sometimes that requires us to bare ourselves and be more vulnerable than we'd ever imagined. We put ourselves out there, faceless, semi-anonymously, with our fiction or journalism, hoping to make the world a better place for someone for a little while. And people love our characters and their journeys; they identify with them and find inspiration and validation. That's awesome, commendable even.

But what if we got down into the marrow of our bones and bared ourselves for an even deeper purpose? What if our personal experiences helped people feel less alienated? What if our personal struggles, failures, and victories encouraged people to step out, speak up, move on, take a chance, or own who they are? Sometimes people need us, not our fictional characters. I've never picked up a Harry Potter book, but J.K. Rowling's personal story inspired me to get writing again after years of feeling inadequate.

As writers at a time in history when everything is accessible with the click of a button, we have been given an extraordinary gift. Our words reach the entire world instantly. Websites often automatically translate, some devices recite web pages, and the internet is available everywhere, on computers that come in all shapes and sizes. Of course, with social media’s far-reaching and sometimes questionable effects on people and culture, not only are our words available to anyone and everyone, but anyone and everyone can put whatever they feel compelled to say online for all to see.

That’s quite a lot of words floating around out there.

And the words don’t just dissipate like a foggy haze with the sunrise. Tweets, posts, pictures, webpages…it can all be archived for future reference. (I just learned this a few months back on Reddit. Yes, I’m a bit technologically challenged, but I’m getting there.) So, if you want to call out your ex for sleeping with your ex-bestie, or give your eyewitness account of what you saw at a certain, infamous crime scene, come on with it. Just remember, there’s no taking it back.

Again, I believe that as writers, we have a precious and wonderful opportunity in this season to have our words reach countless people. With that gift comes a responsibility I’m not always sure I can handle. What message am I putting out there?Who am I reaching? How is my point of view, attitude or account of events going to affect change or at least encourage conversation?

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my experience at my local ER. I was honest, and although I’ve been pressing on against pain medication, I wrote as articulately and concisely as possible. I didn’t really have an agenda, accept that I felt strangely compelled to share what I’d been through. Some readers felt that I was uneducated, not credible, lying, seeking attention, and self-centered. Several nurses from the hospital, and a few other readers wrote me scathing comments and messages calling me a liar. I’ve got a thick skin; I can handle a few unhappy skeptics. In fact, I had prepared myself for more of them.

What I absolutely did not count on, was the heartbreaking number of people who sent me messages, left comments, shared my article, and even stopped me in the local shop to ask me if I was “the lady who wrote that letter”, thanking me for being open, honest, and speaking up about my experience in our ER. In my wildest imaginings, I wouldn’t have guessed that so many people would find validation for themselves and their loved ones who experienced similar treatment there, some by the same doctor. I cried as I read their emails. Some of their stories go back two decades, a horribly long time to hold on their sacred pain.

There were messages and comments from other states and countries, as well. I’ve lost count how many healthcare professionals have contacted me by some means or other, to acknowledge the issues within the system, the danger in ER staff behaving thusly, and thanking me for the reminder that health care requires compassion.

It is humbling to think that my inexplicable need to write about my experience resulted in this conversation that resonates with so many. This is what I mean when I say we have a gift and a responsibility. While the support of my family, community, and strangers has been wonderful, the support others have drawn from me is undoing. I’m praying about where to go from here.

How would this whole thing have turned out if I had simply ranted and railed about the experience I had? Would I have been objective? Would my words have reached out to so many hurting people? Would this conversation about changes to the system in so many hospitals be happening? No. I think I would have simply invited people to focus on their anger and generate more negativity. I’ll take validation over victimhood any day.

You see, this is why the pen is mightier than the sword.

Words affect change in people’s mindsets. Poetry pulls on emotions; just read Wordsworth’s “Daffodils”. Luther’s realization of our need for Grace and Salvation began a revolution. And one need not look very far past the fall of 2016 to see how deeply opinions, rhetoric and (mis)information can influence people.

As writers, we need to ask ourselves why we are writing and consider the outcome.

I write because I am unapologetically addicted to words. I write poetry because it’s the outlet I choose to vent strong emotions. I write short fiction because there are some ideas and messages that need to be illustrated concisely, in a short span of time. I’m working on novels because the stories just keep growing… I write with certain Christian groups in mind because we share in a desire to be challenged to seek a more intimate, life-changing relationship with God, Jesus and Holy Spirit. I write inspirational fiction with secular readers in mind, in hopes that they will come away with something encouraging and thought provoking. Through all of these, the goal is to reach deep into someone’s heart and leave a treasure there.

When I write a reflective essay or open letter, I’m really just sharing my two cents about the world around me. I’m usually looking for something beautiful, or trying to encourage others with something positive. Occasionally I’m trying to sort out something traumatic or awful, and trying to find a resolution. I honestly forget that someone always tells me they can relate to what I’m going through or writing about.

As writers, we must serve more than our need to write. We must consider more than how far our work circulates, or whether we land the publishing contract of our dreams. Our words have a value to those who can’t express themselves, that can’t be measured in clicks, shares or dollars. Once we’ve put something out there, how quickly are we going to move on to the next status, article, short story, script or whatever it is we’re working on? Do we forget the readers who found their voice through our words? How deeply do we want to be involved in the response to our work?

These are questions worth asking ourselves as we sit down at the keyboard or pick up pen and paper. At the end of the day, perhaps a little more responsibility would make us more thoughtful writers.