To My Writer's Block: A Love-Hate Relationship

Do you struggle with writer's block? What would you say to it, if you could?

32
WordPress

Have you ever had a case of writer's block and you just wish it was a person that you could scream at? I know I do. Sometimes I wish I could tell this "person" all the reasons I hate it and the uncommon reasons I love it because saying it out loud helps.

Now you may think this is silly, but it can be a tool to help you out of writer's block. Write down what you would tell this "person" if you could. Share all your feelings about why you hate being blank and clueless when you just want to write something. Share all the reasons you love it when it happens and how it clears your mind of the constant thoughts rolling around in your head. Just lay it all out--it just might cure your horrible case of writer's block.

To my writer's block:

Why do you always seem to come out of nowhere? One minute I am writing so well and words are flowing, the next I am struggling to finish a thought. I just can't handle it sometimes. You make me feel empty like I will never be good enough. Then I think about all the hate I may get for the writing I do publish for the world to read. I have always wanted to say how I felt about you coming up at the most inconvenient times, like the time my deadline was in two days and I only had three pages of eight. Those are the times I wish I could scream, but I am so blocked up, nothing comes out of my mouth. No words are produced because you took them from me. You scattered them throughout my thought process or took them away completely. Disappearing words are your specialty because you are indeed my writer's block.

Now you aren't all bad--a clear mind is amazing at times. No thoughts or story ideas running through my head as I try to go to sleep, or ones invading my day when I am without a device to type it on. Sometimes you are good because you make me take a break from the hustle and bustle of a writer's life and actually take a break. Those days or weeks when I barely write a sentence, are the ones that can give me time to do other things without ideas filling my every thought.

When you invade my life, you drive me absolutely bonkers but you also help clear my mind for awhile. So, we have a love-hate relationship, and I think that is how it is supposed to be. In the moment you strike I am furious and helpless, but as it goes on I feel okay and clear minded.

Writer's block, you aren't all terrible but sometimes I wish you would never come knocking at my door. Even though you are most often than not, unwanted, sometimes you are actually needed to show me when I need to take a break from constant writing.

Sincerely,

A struggling writer