Writer of the Month: Giana Scafide

Writer of the Month: Giana Scafide

Get to know one of Odyssey's top response writers!

20208
Writer of the Month: Giana Scafide

At Odyssey, response writers are at the heart of what we do. Using our response button feature, they carry on our mission of sparking positive, productive conversations in a polarized world.

Since we launched the response writers initiative last year, we've built a talented team of writers. Each month, we'll highlight one of them on our homepage. Our January writer of the month is Giana Scafide, a sophomore at Rutgers University. Read on to hear her story of becoming a response writer, in her own words.

If you're interested in becoming a response writer, email us! You’ll get to choose your own topics and write one response a week to one of our top trending articles. Your work will be featured on our homepage and in our weekly Overheard on Odyssey newsletter. Plus, for your first 10 articles, you’ll be compensated by HQ at $10/response.

My name is Giana Scafide and I am one of the new writers for The Odyssey Online! Joining The Odyssey Online team was one of the most high-achieving things I did in 2022. I am currently a sophomore at Rutgers University New Brunswick majoring in Journalism and Media Studies, so this opportunity was very fitting for me. When I received the email saying that Odyssey was looking for individuals to write for them, I was immediately intrigued. Writing has always been a hobby of mine I pursued throughout my life. It was a way— and still is— a way for me to express my thoughts and feelings more clearly, write different creative prompts, and even document the exciting events that happen in my life.

As a response writer for Odyssey, I have the privilege of reading other individuals’ articles which allows me to explore their ideas and stories, and afterwards, get to respond with my take, adding extra information, and sometimes my own personal experiences. The process of writing a response article is really easy and enjoyable. I am able to select a topic from a couple of articles that are provided to me, and pick one of those articles that interests me the most to respond to. Then, I plan out my ideas and write my response article!

Writing for Odyssey, there are a variety of topics to write about. Some of my favorites so far are relationships, as well as politics and activism. I am passionate about subjects that can make a difference in the world. For example, I wrote about why media representation matters, a topic that is very crucial in today’s climate. I want to contribute my insight on why these topics matter so that others can be informed and educated on important issues.

Having my work published on the website is such a thrilling and fulfilling feeling. Seeing my name under the title of my work and knowing that something I wrote can be read by others is such a special feeling. I also have the privilege to get paid for my work as well, which is an added bonus! It is just so incredible that I get to share my thoughts on topics that relate to the world we live in today, that can hopefully impact individuals in a positive and comforting way. I am so full of gratitude for this opportunity, and I can’t wait for more moments with The Odyssey Online!