"Write Your Own Tomorrow" Requires More Than Just Positive Thoughts

"Writing Your Own Tomorrow" Requires More Than Just Positive Thoughts

What does it mean to "write your own tomorrow"? As I sit pondering this question I have come to the realization that constant positive affirmation does not make one's life better.

95

What does it mean to "write your own tomorrow"? As I sit pondering this question, I have come to the realization that constant positive affirmation does not make one's life better. One can write what they want to achieve the next day, but without following through with the action proves that positive acclamations can only go so far. Instead, those that go out create a future for themselves whilst taking ownership of their choices is what makes a person into who they want to be and become.

I have been around a fair amount of people that are out there, getting involved, owning their actions, and staying engaged; these individuals are not afraid to ask questions because the one question they surely never want to ask is "how did I end up here?"

What I have learned throughout my years is that each individual person is their own best friend, because, at the end of the day, your own self is the riding factor for your full potential. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to allow themselves to experience life and choices without the worry of how they may be perceived. It can definitely be scary to acknowledge the potential you yourself fully has, but once unlocked, the doors of opportunity will be open to you!

Therefore, you may be wondering how do I fully submit to "writing my own tomorrow" and reaping the benefits of doing so? To start: do something outside of your comfort zone. Throughout high school, I had quite a hard time really figuring out how I was going to write my own tomorrow, as I was always concerned with how I would be perceived. Therefore, freshman year of college I decided to take a leap of faith and improve upon myself; and block out all my worries of what other's may think about my choices. I was going to own my actions, go abroad and do whatever I could to explore life outside of my small home town in Connecticut.

When I was offered the opportunity to study abroad, I was a bit hesitant at first because the program entailed I live in Europe for a year; however, I was up for the significant change and with that, I packed my bags and headed off in September to live in London. Right now I am almost on my tenth month of living abroad and I feel as if I have become a more worldly individual.

Traveling through Europe has brought out my independent nature, making me aware of multiple different cultures and, in general, perspectives. I have discovered a part of myself that I would not have been able to without going abroad. Being in new places can be overwhelming at times, but it continues to test my ability to "write my own tomorrow." This is what I wanted in my abroad experience and with two months left, I am excited for what is to come!