What I Would Tell My Younger Self

What I Would Tell My Younger Self

If we could turn back time...

53
What I Would Tell My Younger Self
Juan Felipe Rubio

Wouldn't it be great if we could go back in time? Maybe we could change a few things and make better choices. We all make mistakes and we all have regrets. I've sure had my fair share. Sometimes, I wish I could take back some things or prevent things from happening. Although everything in my life has made me who I am today, I definitely could have saved myself some time if I could go back and tell my younger self a few things.

Do better in school.

I would tell myself that hard work will pay off in the long run and caring about school is very important. I would change the way I viewed school and teach myself why it is so important and where it's going to take me in life.

Be kind to yourself.

It's fair to say that I was not easy on myself. I would tell my younger self to be body positive and that her body is beautiful and her own. I'd make it be known that it is important to believe in yourself and support yourself.

Let Him Go

I know many others told me to. I would go back and tell myself to listen. I would tell myself you're young and this guy is totally not worth the constant trouble and heartbreak. I'd hope to teach her to put herself first and never let anybody walk all over her and that someone much more worthy will find her down the line.

Appreciate your family

I would tell myself to be kind to my family, most importantly my mother. I would teach myself that my mother is the most important person in my life and to treat her with more respect, kindness, and love.

Stand up for yourself.

I was always the one to get stepped on or taken advantage of until I had to learn the hard way that I had to change. Say no. Turn them down. Defend yourself. These are lessons I would teach myself because that young girl needs to learn that she is tougher than she thinks.

Enjoy everything

When I say everything, I mean everything. I would tell myself enjoy the parties and the outings because they're not going to happen as much in the future. I'd tell myself to enjoy the friendships, bonds, and sports games. These things don't last forever and are very easy to miss.

Not everyone is your friend

I was friends with everyone in high school. No really, I mean everyone. I swore that I had all these friends but in reality, they were never my good friends after all. I would tell myself to notice these fake friendships and not trust everyone I come to meet.

Don't let the rumors get to you

High school=rumors. My younger self needed to know that these don't deserve attention, stress, or the dilemma. I'd tell myself that the rumors are stupid and happen to everyone.

Your happiness and mental health are most important.

I learned this eventually and when I did, my life changed. And although that journey was way beyond worth it, I wish I knew this a little bit sooner. I would tell myself that being happy is the most important thing and that my mental health comes before the grades on a report card, no matter what my parent told me. I would tell myself to take care of herself and be aware that it's okay to not be okay sometimes.