Some Of The Worst Things Left Out Of The 'Harry Potter' Movies

It's OK movies, we still love you.

316
Movie Pilot

" Harry Potter" has one of the biggest followings in the world, and both the film adaptation and the book series had huge success. However, as the series was a set of books first, there's always some disappointment in what gets left out once the story hits the silver screen. Sometimes the details were so small it was understandable they were cut out to keep the movie a decent length, but some parts of the story line that didn't make it to the movies were just unforgivable.

Warning: Spoilers. (But who doesn't know HP? C'mon guys.)

1. Charlie Weasley

Charlie Weasley is the second oldest Weasley son after Bill, and while he didn't have an enormous part in the books, he did appear numerous times throughout the series. Ron does mention the fact that he has a cool brother who works with dragons in Romania in the movies, but we never actually see an actor make an appearance as Charlie.

2. The Marauders

Ever heard of the Marauder's map? Yeah? Well, the movies fail to mention the fact that the marauders are in fact James Potter and his three friends from Hogwarts (Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew). The movies don't talk about the huge story point that Potter, Black, and Pettigrew all became animagus to help Lupin with his werewolf transformations, or that the four of them created the map (Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs.)

3. Ludo Bagman

In the "Goblet of Fire," Ludo Bagman is a ministry wizard with a serious gambling problem who attempts to settle his debts by placing a bet on Harry winning the Triwizard cup. Thus, he spends a good portion of time "bending the rules" to try to get Harry to win. His entire character and story line was left out of "GoF."

4. The Quidditch World Cup

The World Cup was very built up in the books, and a huge entertaining demonstration of the professional world of Quidditch. It was also a very fitting and more grandiose introduction of Viktor Krum. But in the movies, it doesn't even exist.

5. Luna's "Friends" Painting

Luna Lovegood was a weirdo, but the loveable kind. When the trio went to the Lovegood house in Deathly Hallows, Harry made the discovery of a painting Luna had done on her ceiling of him, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Ginny surrounded by the word "friends" over and over. This was a very endearing show of friendship and love from Luna.

6. Percy Weasley's betrayal

The always ambitious Percy Weasley was for a long part of the story a very hated character due to his betrayal to his family. He has aspirations to get as high into the ministry as possible, and was willing to sell out his family and friends to get there. And he did.

7. The Real Tragedy of Fred's Death

What made Fred Weasley's death in "Deathly Hallows" so much more gut wrenching than it already was, was the story behind it and how it happened. Percy had recently been forgiven and apologized for betraying his family, and was fighting alongside Fred when Fred was killed. Percy's reaction to Fred's death and the whole chain of events made the event in the books even more of a tragedy.

8. How Cool Ginny Was

In the books, Ginny Weasley is one of the coolest characters. She hexes people who insult her and her friends, she befriends the people who don't really have anyone, and she is overall awesome. I mean, she smashes into Zacharias Smith's commentator stand after in Quidditch match during which he only badmouthed the Gryffindor team! Does it even get cooler than that.

9. Roonil Wazlib

This was probably the funniest thing Harry ever said, and I just missed it.

10. House Elves

House elves run the kitchens at Hogwarts, and that's where Dobby worked after he left the Malfoys. And we mustn't forget the swarm of house elves fighting for Hogwarts with knives and cleavers during the Battle of Hogwarts.

11. Neville's parents

One of the greatest tragedies of left out subplots is that we never get to see or hear more than 30 seconds of the story of Neville's parents. The fact that they were driven mad by the Cruciatus curse by Bellatrix Lestrange? The fact that they were Aurors? That they thrice defied Voldemort? That Neville was almost the Chosen One?

12. SPEW

The movie never mentions Hermione's humanitarian mission to free all house elves, or the passion she has to change the laws that are so repressive to all non- witches or wizards.

13. The Potions Challenge

In the "Sorcerer's Stone," once they are through the trapdoor, there are more puzzles that are supposed to be before the stone and the room with the mirror of erised, including a logic puzzle by Snape. This part of the books shows how Hermione is not only a great witch, but also an immensely intelligent person anyway.

14. Peter Pettigrew's Moment of Mercy

In the movie, Dobby just stuns Pettigrew so Harry and Ron can escape. In the books, the boys have to take him by hand. When Pettigrew is strangling Harry, Harry manages to choke out that Wormtail owes him for saving his life in PoA. The slight loosening of the hand and mercy from Pettrigrew results in his finely made and Voldemort crafted silver hand strangling himself instead.

15. Harry's Triwizard Earnings

One thousand galleon prize for winning the Triwizard Cup. And what does Harry do with it? First he tries to give it to Mrs. Weasley as she looks over him in the hospital wing, and then to the Diggorys as it should have also belonged to Cedric, but in the end Harry ends up forcing his winnings on the Weasley twins, and that's how they start Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

16. Snape's Worst Memory

When Harry sees the full story of Snape's worst memory in the book, he notices a few things that hadn't occurred to him. His father maybe was an arrogant prat. Why did Lily and James even get together, since it seemed like they hated each other? And Lily was friendly to Snape, until he called her a mudblood after she came to his rescue.

17. A Mundane Death of Voldemort

An important part of the death of Voldemort was that he "hit the floor with a sense of mundane finality" (paraphrasing). It was important that Voldemort's death be as lame and human as possible, and not turning into scraps and floating away, to show that he was truly gone this time.

18. HARRY!!! DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME THE GOBLET OF FIRE?????!!

Dumbledore asked calmly.

And though I complain openly about the movies' faults, I still love them. I will watch them with no hesitation if I'm asked. Always.