6 Life Lessons We Can Learn From 'Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets'

9301
Rants and Reviews

If you have read my previous Harry Potter article, you are probably aware how much I love this series. If you haven't, let me inform you: I really love this series. I think there is a ton to be learned about life and humanity from these books and movies, so in this article, I will focus on what can be learned from "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets".

1. Good looks aren't everything.

Gilderoy Lockhart is a character that shows us what happens to people who get by their whole life based on their good looks – and it isn’t very pretty. While few people go as far as erasing people’s memories and claiming their heroic feats as their own, Lockhart’s demise captures the true price of vanity and conceit. Don’t ever let your appearance substitute for intelligence or any other valuable personality trait.

2. Someone's background does not determine his or her value as a person.

In this installment, the audience begins to learn about the prejudices in the wizarding world, which are very parallel to the prejudices in the world today. Although Malfoy and his friends believe they are better wizards because of their pure-blood status and very regularly make mockeries of Hermione, Hagrid, and others, we learn that anyone can be intelligent, capable, awesome wizards regardless and that someone with a different background has different knowledge and experience that can be very helpful. For example, Ron is a pureblood wizard and always grew up in the wizarding world, while Harry and Hermione grew up in the muggle world. Without the combined knowledge of both worlds amongst the friends, they would probably find themselves in a lot more difficult, helpless situations throughout. (Also spoiler alert Malfoy, Hermione punches you in the face in the next movie. And it’s awesome)

3. Don't underestimate anyone based on size or appearance.

When Fawkes the phoenix shows up in the Chamber of Secrets, Harry pretty much thinks he’s screwed. Without Fawkes, however, Harry would be dead – he gives Harry the sorting hat containing the sword, heals Harry’s fatal wound with his tears, and flies Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Lockhart out of the Chamber. If there’s anything we can learn from this, it’s not to write people off based on how small or powerless they may seem. Our greatest allies may sometimes be the people we least expect.

4. Actions do not always equal intentions.

Poor Ginny Weasley. She had no idea she unleashed a monstrous fanged serpent on the school and assisted in injuring multiple people (bonus points for the ghost and the cat). If there’s anything to take away from this situation, it’s that people’s actions do not always equal their intentions. Ginny was essentially innocent because she had no idea what she was doing and was manipulated into a terrible situation. It’s often said that we judge others based on their actions, but judge ourselves based on our intent – and that’s definitely true. Be kind, empathetic, and forgiving to people, as many people do not truly want to hurt anyone – sometimes they just genuinely don’t know what they’re doing.

5. Be wary of who you open yourself up to.

On the flip side, however, we learn the dangers of opening ourselves up to the wrong people. If you are not actively conscious about who you trust and what you reveal about yourself to other people, people can take that information and use it against you. I don’t think we REALLY have to worry about an evil dark lord using our personal secrets to attempt murder, but it is always better to be safe and make sure the people we open up to are worthy of our trust.

6. Probably don't follow the spiders, ever.

Because seriously, in what world would that ever have turned out okay?