A Letter To All The Haters Who Said I Wouldn't Accomplish Anything

Sometimes the worst motivation is the best motivation.

65
@dauphinemulder

I've always said a lack of belief is the best motivator. Growing up, I used to always love when people complimented me or believed in me.

However, time and time again I found myself more motivated by those who never thought I could do anything.

I was motivated when a guy that I had a crush on told me I could never be higher than any of our friends in class ranks. I was motivated by well-intentioned people that always wanted to know how much help I would need that week on the homework. Finally, I was motivated by those that consistently were "pleasantly surprised" when they hear about my grades or something I did.

Often times we hold extremely negative views towards those that push us down and think less of us, and rightfully so. But I also want to say thank you to each and every person that told me I couldn't do it.

Every time someone said I surpassed expectations or done better than they were thinking I would, it was more motivation to do it again. It's a certain feeling that you get, proving people wrong.

So to everyone who doesn't believe they can get the A, or make the grade, or pass the class. I'm here to tell you that you absolutely can. And it doesn't matter who you come in contact with, people will always have something to say about you and that's okay. It's not okay, but it will get better, I promise.

More than that, I would charge you to use that as motivation to do better and to strive to be your best. I promise it will help, and I promise you absolutely can do it.

So in the most dysfunctional, surprising way, thank you to those who never thought I could. If I didn't have this weird desire to prove people wrong about me, I probably wouldn't be where I am today.