The Worst Killer

The Worst Killer

It's time to talk about it.

14
The Worst Killer
Argentino Senir Landa

No, the worst killer is not binge watching Netflix and then passing out from no food for two weeks... No, it is something much more serious, yet something that is not taken seriously as much. Key word: Depression.

Yes, I said it, the taboo word we all dare to say every once in a while. When was the last time you heard someone say "I'm depressed" and you have taken the time out of your day to listen to them? Did you hear their broken heart fluttering lightly, barely struggling to stay beating? Or their neurons staggering to find the reason to keep conversing with the other neurons? Do you know that it is not just their mind that is depressed, but their entire being? Can you see their soul being darkened piece by piece as they realize life is no longer meaningful?

I had a friend that I grew up with who had been dear to us all. He was one of those who kept a smile on his face no matter what. You had a bad day? It's okay, he will crack a joke and make you forget all about it. Haven't talked to him in a while? No problem, he won't make it awkward, it'll be like you just talked yesterday.

I wish I had been there for you, my friend, and I am so sorry I was not. Not even to return that bright smile you had for me every day. If only I could've returned all those laughs you shared with me especially when you needed it the most.

We were all so obsessed with the new lives we were leading that we lost track of the people with whom we grew up with. All those people who we knew since the first bowl cut hair to the first loose tooth to the last day of high school and on our way to the first steps into our new lives. Facebook does no justice to the number of years we have known each other, but yet we do not know each other.

I wish you knew that I cared. I cared about you and your life. I cared about your feelings, about your stress. I would have given you a shoulder to cry on, or a support beam to help you with that load above your head. But alas, your life has been ended. My support beams don't die with you, though. My heart is here for anyone to spill their feelings to, tell me your worries because even if I cannot make them go away, it can help you relieve some stress of holding it in.

So talk to me, talk to the ones around you. Trust the people who want you, care for you, and love you. And always know, you matter.