Why The World Needs Independent Films

Why The World Needs Independent Films

Blockbusters should not be enough!

9
Why The World Needs Independent Films
Rotten Tomatoes

Big feature films have always been the top dogs of Hollywood. They always cast the biggest stars, have the highest budget, and use the most expensive equipment, but, we can only watch Will Smith save the world so many times. The smaller part of the industry, the independent films, are lower budget, cast people who we've never even heard of, and don't spend as much money on resources. Although, believe it or not, they are important to our society!

Independent films execute storylines that major Hollywood movies don't. The majority of the time, these films show us not what we want to see, but what is. They capture the raw human emotion and realism that blockbusters lack. They are the realists, and sometimes pessimists of the film industry. Hollywood, on the other hand, is the optimist: the guy always gets the girl, the world is always saved right on time, and Tom Cruise never dies. We need indie movies to snap us out of our "nothing bad can ever happen" mindset.

Sure, films are supposed to separate us from our reality, but with our world becoming dominated by media, films are no longer a way to pass the time, but a way to spend it. So, every once in a while, instead of seeing that A+ cast movie, go see the one with the lead who's name doesn't ring a bell.

This knowledge particularly comes in handy throughout the summer, even if there is only a small amount of time left before you can't binge-watch Gossip Girl" until 1 a.m. anymore. So here's what you do, go to your nearest arthouse theater, buy a small popcorn, and fall in love with independent films!