In a world where natural hair requires a lot of maintenance there is a way!

Who says you cannot go natural in college?

385

Besides wondering how I was going to pay for books, my next question was 'how will I do my hair?' Ladies (and Gents) we love our beauticians but they cannot travel with us to school...unfortunately. With that being said I had to learn QUICK how to do my hair on a college student's budget and time frame...which are both very skimpy! For all of my naturals out there this is for you! Your hair is beautifully kinky, coily, and cool...if its bushy like mine you make be blocking the board in class but its cool. :)

A few things to have on hand this semester to keep the hair FLAWLESS include:

- Flexi rods - Every wonder how those beautiful naturalistas achieve those perfect spiral curls without the pain of bandtu knots? FLEXIS!! Flexi rods are great on both natural and relaxed hair in giving it a little bounce. It took me a while to get the hang of flexi rods but its all in the drying and setting time. Flexi rods come in an array of colors that signify their size, and can be found in almost any store that carries hair care. These bad boys can revive a limp hair style or give you a whole new 'do! If you are like me and don't always blow dry your hair before styling, its best to get the flexi rod as close and tight to your scalp as possible just so the roots look just as good as the ends.

- Blowdryer and hooded blowdryer attachment - No one has space, or outlet power for a hooded dryer in school...so I cheated the system and bought a hooded dryer attachment. It not only saved space and kept my head from catching on fire, but I am able to move around and do a few things while drying my hair thanks to my blowdryer cord :)

- Gel based products - How else will a style last after the gym jam and after party? Gel based products of course! Gel based products often look more "clear" than "creamy" like moisturizers and conditioners. I always base my hair with creamy products to make sure my hair is getting its "food" but I need my twist out to last at least a week okay?! We've all heard of the Olive oil Eco Styling Gel that has saved lives, but I also use Kinky Curly Custard and things like it. To make sure everything will act right I do use some sort of foaming mousse that is specifically for natural hair or has a good hold.

- Leave in conditioner - AKA hair food. I use leave in conditioner on my ends everytime I do a braid out to ensure that I AM NOT breaking off my ends. Its also the first thing I put on my hair after washing it. If I ever forget to oil my scalp, I know theres a barrier of "leave in" to protect my hair until I get a chance to oil it...but not too much, we don't want the hair to be overwhelmed and flop on us.

- Perm Rods - Perm rods are interchangeable with flexis...one works just as good as the other. I have both. Flexi rods last longer than perm rods because they do not have a band that can break. However, if you want to achieve that bandtu knot "wave" winding perm rods around the hair is your best bet. Perm rod sets also dry quicker, if your hair must be slayed right before an outing. What I like about perm rods is that if you like to keep your hair up for a few days, before unveiling to the word, perm rods can be hidden under caps and scarfs, unlike flexis.

- Shampoo, conditioner, conditioner, and 2 more bottles of conditioner - Every natural runs out of conditioner before shampoo, why? I don't know but hey at least the hair is being loved :) A good thing to remember to do is to comb the conditioner through the hair to make sure each strand is getting as much love as the next :).

- Spray bottle - So much versatility for one product. Need a little water before doing the braid out ? Spray. Home made oil mixture? Spray. New potential bae doesn't like natural hair? Spray...then leave. But spray bottles have endless uses, and should be packed somewhere in the suitecase.

- Bobby Pins - Need I say more?

- More than 1 scarf or bonnet - Scarves are best for pineappling hair and to slick those edges! Bonnets...you know their use. If the average size is not working for your tresses, try to find an extra-large size, ideal for those overnight flexi rod sets.

- Wide tooth detangling comb and paddle brush - Wide teeth combs are our friends...they are the only one other than us that will detangle our hair without complaining. Have about 2 on hand just incase one runs away. I used to think paddle brushes were only for weaves but boy was I wrong! Brushing the hair mixes the oils in the hair and massages the scalp. For those tricky knots, paddle brush them before giving up.

- Deep conditioner - This will probably be the hardest thing you will have to do in your college career...yes harder than those pointless math classes or that assignment due by 11:59 and its 11:43. Time flies in college, we say we are going to deep conditioner but are we really? Please bring it for those rainy days when deep conditioning (and keeping it in for a while) can be the move. Use a shower cap or plastic grocery bag to keep things from going down your back.

- Edge Control - A necessity for every style involving an updo or hair pulled away from the face. Always use a brush with soft to medium bristles and have a scarf near to slick down at least 20-30 minutes before departure.

Though I have been styling my own hair for years, last year was my first time doing it with limited resources and away from home. I couldn't bring EVERYTHING so I had to downsize (talk about survival of the fittest) Hopefully these things are useful and you have a fun, flawless year!

Some of my best hair days:

flexi rod set wash and go (with tons of gel based product)

perm rod set (rushed)

twist out

braid out

Questions? email me at a.danielle.hawkins@gmail.com :)