The 7 Types Of People You Meet Real Quick As A University Bookstore Cashier
Life Stages

Let's face it, people come into the bookstore to spend the money they don't have.

91

This week, I started a new job at my university's bookstore. I had heard from everyone on campus that this was THE job to get. You get to interact with so many people and families as well as get paid to socialize. Perfect, right? Going into my first day, I came in with that expectation, and to say that it was met was an understatement. Working as a cashier, you come across some really interesting people that you would never interact with otherwise. Here are some types of people you meet real fast when you work as a cashier.

The silent shopper

This shopper is one of the quietest people you have ever met. When ringing them out, they use one-word answers or shoulder shrugs for LITERALLY EVERYTHING. "Did you find everything OK?" "Yes." "Do you want a bag with that? *shrugs* "How's your day going?" "Fine." We are taught to be conversational with our customers and make them feel welcome, but these people make that nearly impossible to do. Hey buddy, if you could look up from your phone for a second and say a few more words to me that would be A+.

That chatty Kathy

This person simply does not know when to shut up. They will keep on talking to you to no end. By the end of ringing them out, you have heard their entire life story, what they are majoring in, what they had for breakfast and who their three best friends are. It's a little bit too much, but I guess to each their own.

The confused student

These are the students who come into the bookstore having no idea where anything is at all. Usually, they are freshmen, but sometimes we get the occasional sophomore. The number of times that I have had to tell a student, "No, this is not where you pick up your package. Go down the stairs, turn right, and then walk straight," is just too many times. And don't even ask how many times I have had to explain the concept of a clicker to a little freshman.

The "I'm here to visit a friend" customer

This is my personal favorite when the customer coming to visit is one of my own friends. I love seeing my friends when I'm at work because they get to see me in a new element. And who doesn't love a friendly face? However, I'm a hypocrite when I say that it gets a little annoying when people come in to visit their friends. Often, it leaves the other person to work the whole line by themselves while the other socializes with their friends. Congrats, you have friends and they love you. But please do your job and see them in your next class.

The super kind best customer ever

This kind of customer is THE BEST! They always ask how your day is going before you can ask it first. They genuinely care about you and want to know about you. It's such a refreshing feeling after having to deal with some pretty insanely rude people. These types of customers never fail to put a giant smile on my face.

The I'm-better-than-you customer

We all know someone who thinks that he or she is better than everyone else. The worst is when this type of customer comes into the bookstore. Maybe they have money, maybe they are popular—who knows? But all you know is that this student is about to be a pain in your butt. If we don't have that one textbook they need, you sure know they are about to yell at you for it. You also better bet that they're going to make it known to you how fantastic they are as a human being. Sorry, Susan, you just really need to leave right now.

The sad and broken college student

This one is, by far, the most common. Let's face it, people come into the bookstore to spend the money they don't have. Whether it be on textbooks, some pens or a new backpack, college students can't *really* afford it. I often get the heavy sigher at the cash register when I tell him or her that the total will be $100. I can almost see the glimmer of tears in their eyes. I always want to say, "I'm so sorry, I feel you." Not to mention the number of sleep deprived and broken people I see. The level of bags under their eyes is a direct correlation to how their semester is going.

Working at the bookstore can be a really fun job! You get to meet all sorts of people and learn a bunch of new skills (mainly just relearning how to count because counting the amount of money in the register each night is stressful, y'all). If you ever get the opportunity to work as a cashier, I highly recommend doing it.