Working In The ER

Working In The ER

How it feels seeing things that other people would never have imagined.

64
Working In The ER
Wordpress

Everyone has a dream, a goal, an aspiration they wish to fulfill in life. There's always something that pulls at our heartstrings, the reason why we get out of bed in the morning. Why are we doing what we're doing? What's the reason for going through an immense amount of obstacles to reach this goal? Will it even pay off in the end?

No matter if it pays off or not, you know that what you're doing is for a legitamate reason. If it doesn't end up working out at first, you will keep going for it. If you could wake up the next day and go through all the obstacles and struggles of the previous day with a smile on your face, that's when you know you will never give up this aspiration.

Ever since I was a child, I've always had a dream of using the resources and energy I have to help others. Seeing a smile on someone else's face because of something small I may have done, such as helping an elderly person out of their chair or holding a door open for the person behind me has always made me feel innerly content. It seems as if I've found contentment in the happiness of others.

Maybe this was why I thought medicine was the field for me. Seeing someone cured after a terrible illness or disease, feeling absolutely ecstatic and happy, was something you didn't see every day. It brought joy to my heart.

Taking steps towards a career in medicine, however, sometimes feels like climbing a mountain without feet. The amount of obstacles to cross seems never ending. The sleepless nights, gigantic amounts of homework, hands-on experience at hospitals and clinics, and ability to find time to still live a life seems like a lot to have on your plate at once. But some (like me) find that having a lot on your plate at once can be exciting. It keeps you busy, focused, and leaves little time for distractions.

In this day and age, a career in the medicine field requires much more than good grades. Many graduate schools look for hands on experience, such as shadowing a health care professional (following them around and viewing a day through their eyes) or volunteering your time outside of class. Personally, I wanted more than that. I began to work as a "scribe," or someone who does all the doc's paperwork. Working in the emergency room at a local hospital has opened my eyes. At first, it seemed extremely daunting and burdensome to complete many charts in a short span of time, but working in the ER has taught me many lessons beyond fast typing.

It has taught me to be resilient; after making a mistake on a chart or forgetting to tell the doctor about something, being given constructive criticism or getting scolded actually has molded me into a stronger figure. Seeing sick, injured and frightened patients entering the ER hurt, afraid and confused has not only made my passion to help others stronger, but has made me more thankful for the things I take for granted - happiness, health, and stability. Watching sickly individuals be reassured by healthcare professionals, whether it be a doctor, nurse, or therapist makes me feel at ease - the light I see in their eyes makes me feel content. All of these are a myriad of experiences that not everyone can experience firsthand.

Personally, I believe in hands on experience far beyond the classroom. The life lessons you learn when pushed into situations outside your comfort zone are far more valuable than the lessons learned on the classroom blackboard. These are what help mold you into who you are today.