Why I Work A Full-Time Job Over Summer Break

The benefits and the downfalls.

1041
Hartford Business Journal

There are college students over the summer that cannot find jobs, that have part-time jobs, or maybe even an internship. For me, since my first summer at home, summer means working full-time. Sure it means more money but it also means hard work and less time to enjoy the time home.

My first year of college I was an awful spender. I became that broke college student that everyone talks about. I had to go into my savings to make it through. I even started using my parent's money and they were not happy about that. My part-time job at college was not giving me many hours if any at all. Le'ts just say that I learned my lesson after that and it was time for a change.

My dad happens to work as a maintenance man at a local company, which was hiring for seasonal full-time people. I went in for an interview and they ended up offering me a job. I did not know what I was getting into. The job that I do is prepping parts and placing parts on boards for different machines. Let's just say that after time, this job gets very tedious and my co-workers know this after some of the complaining I have done in the past.

There are only a few reasons I went back. One is that my dad would kill me if I did not. Another is that it gives me the money to not only splurge but save up and purchase the things I really need. I am also a hard worker as my dad and bosses like to tell me and I do what they tell me to.

The number one reason I keep going back is because of the friends I have made. I have met some amazing people at the company that I will talk to and see for the rest of my life. I even ended up talking to some of my dad's friends and my dad is talking to my friends. When I am at college and I have not talked to them in a while, they ask my dad how I am doing and when I am coming back to visit.

After my first summer there my friends were excited to see me when I came back for the Christmas season. My friend Tiffany had no idea that I was coming back and I had never seen anyone so excited in my life. She was not happy I was back to work but happy that she could see me for the next few weeks.

However, working full time means less me time and friend time. I have to get up early in the morning and work until almost dinner. It means not knowing when I will be able to see my friends from home. I do not have many of those left and they also have different schedules than I do. This means making the most out of every moment I can have with them.

This job taught me many lessons. Learn how to spend and save your money. Make the most of the time you have, no matter how much or how little. Make the most out of the experience. Now I know why I am in college: to be able to do what I love.