When You Work In A Diner, You Learn These 5 Things Real Quick

Have a little sympathy for servers, especially on a busy day.

217
Scott Webb

Your first job will always hold a special place in your heart, whether it was a positive or negative experience. I got my first job when I was sixteen years old at a local diner through a family friend. Believe it or not, but this has helped me flourish as a person and allowed me to meet many different people through different walks of life. I will always be grateful for that job, because without it, I wouldn't be the person I am today. So here are five unforgettable things I've learned from working at a diner for three years.

1. People are needy.

I'm still trying to grasp at how true this first one is. Yes, this is a diner and we can make substitutions and omit things to your liking, but we are not your grandmother, so we can't make whatever you want however you want. We also have four other tables to attend to, so I can't keep running back and forth at your bidding when you could've just told me when I asked you the first time.

2. Please tip your server.

Not tipping isn't illegal and won't get you in any sort of trouble, but servers unfortunately make way less than minimum wage - $3 an hour on average, actually. And many of us have kids to feed and bills to pay. So please, please, please, tip your server. We aren't expecting you to tip up 100% of your check, but 10-20% is very much appreciated. It's good to keep in mind to only order if you are able to afford to leave a decent tip after.

3. Don't judge people.

I must admit, even as severs, we have our biases, too. But through experiences and observing my other coworkers, it's not the best idea to judge a book by its cover. The person who orders the cheapest thing on the menu might end up giving you the biggest tip you've ever received.

4. Servers are people, too.

Like I said earlier, many of us have kids to feed and bills to pay. We might also be in school or work two, maybe even three, jobs. We're on our feet for eight hours out of the day from this one job alone. We also have feelings and bad days, too, which often times, customers seem to forget. Sometimes the mistakes made aren't even our fault. We may do our part, but there are other people involved in getting your food orders, like the cooks and sometimes expeditors. Please have a little sympathy, especially on a busy day, because you don't know what we've been through.

5. We are not your mother.

This is pretty much self-explanatory for anyone who has ever worked in the food service industry, but like I said, your server is not your mother. Yes, we are required to clean up after you, but don't make it harder for us than it needs to be. Just avoid a big mess if you can, because apparently that's harder for people than it should be.