What 11 Foreigners Have To Say About America Right Now
Politics

It's time for us to listen.

51

In April, as I was finishing up my semester abroad, I posted an article in which I interviewed eight people that I had met while abroad, asking them what they thought of the United States of America. You can read that article here. I wrote that article because spending time outside of the USA caused me to realize how limited my perspective had been.

American voices are on display for everyone. Our music, movies, media and politics reach almost every corner of the world, whether it's welcomed or not. However, in America, we don't often hear the voices of those beyond our borders. How can we ever know the world we live in if we do not listen to the voices of everyone?

Too often, Americans forget about the impact that we have throughout the rest of the world. We vote, march, fight, tweet and sign executive orders with our own lives in mind, forgetting or not caring about the lives of the millions of others that our actions touch.

I was grateful to hear and share the voices of the lovely people featured in my previous article. In light of current events, I felt that it was once again important for us to hear the voices of those affected by our politics. Below, please read as eleven people share their thoughts. It's our turn to listen.

Afrodite, age 23, Greece

What is the first thing that you think of when you think of the USA?

"The first thing I think of about the USA is a lot of opportunities and a lot of different ways of thinking. Exaggerated things whether it's big buildings or foods or ideologies."

How do American politics affect your life?

"American politics affect my life because America is in a close alliance with Europe and their political decisions determine and are determined by each other. Especially when America decides to intervene in other countries’ politics, economy and way of life."

"
Right now, politics in America is really spread over the Internet as if something horrible is happening for the first time in the history of political decisions in America. To be honest, I don't think that now that Trump is president things are gonna be much worse. I think they were bad before too, it's just now Trump, due to his clowning character, cannot diplomatically hide his bad decisions."

If there was one thing that you could tell Americans, what would it be?

"What I would like to tell Americans is start waking up and thinking for yourselves in order to not to be manipulated by any kind of president or leader. Start focusing on your personal well-being and sustainability. This goes not only for Americans but for everyone."

Thomas, age 27, Ireland

"Right now - fear. Fear for your people."

"They usually affect me in the form of worrying me from abroad about the crazy injustices that can be allowed take place."

"Whether you choose to fight against Trump or not, be aware there seems to be a big change happening in your society. Stay safe."

Robin, age 21, The Netherlands

"Right now, Trump."

"I think the political situation in the U.S. will have an indirect effect on my life. Trump's actions are covered by Dutch news stations daily. I think that (hopefully a majority) of the Dutch people watch him and are disgusted by his actions. But I know that a big group of people will want our government to 'finally' grow a pair and take action against Muslims/refugees/EU policies etc."

"My country is struggling with the refugee crisis as well and our nation is heavily divided as well into pro- and anti- refugees. People are both wanting to lend a hand but are also afraid of potential attacks."

"We have a minister (Geert Wilders, they actually both have a terrible haircut in common) who is very similar to Trump. He was the only who voiced his appreciation of that seven country ban law. His party is getting bigger (he'll never get a majority in our system though, that's hardly possible). But I'm afraid that people who like Trump will vote for Wilders' party and that will not be good."

"For me personally, I am just so tired of Trump's dumb actions. Even though I don't have the solutions to crises like the refugee crisis, spreading hate and being disrespectful is definitely not the answer."

"Hang in there, people."

Alcmini, age 53, Greece

"The American Dream"

"They do not affect my microcosm, they affect indirectly my life by influencing the balance of global economy, global diplomacy, etc."

"You have a great country, you are a great nation, but you are not the center of the universe."
"Ooooopaaaa! Dance! Break some plates!"

Sabur, age 21, Belgium

"The first thing I think of is the American pride and the patriotism."

"The American politics usually don't affect me so much but I really am curious how the world is going to change with Trump as president."
"This probably doesn't go for all Americans, but since the election of Trump, I kind of feel like Americans really try hard to make America great again at the expense of other countries in the world. Maybe settle for a less great America?"

"Please do something about Trump. Also, the Belgians clearly invented fries so stop calling them French fries... please...."

Marco, age 33, Italy/Ecuador

“Well, a lot of things..."The American dream", wars, bombs, guns, sports (NHL, NBA, Olympic Games...)"

“In Italy I lived in a town so close (10 miles) to a NATO air force base, so all my life in Italy I used to hear and see the planes go to bomb some countries (sometimes every 15 minutes during the day and night). It was not so nice, and I never understood why the USA does that. (I know a lot of people, and they all are such good people, with good feelings, with respect for others. But maybe there are a lot of other people that think in a different way.)”

“Here in Ecuador we use the dollar, but more than that thing the USA politics don't affect our life so much.”

“You are in the best country in the world and so you are the example for all countries. I hope you will change the environmental and military policy.”

Xenia, age 18, Greece

"When I think of the United States, the first thing that comes to mind is the American dream, and how a whole country was built upon this ideal of opportunity and ambition, even though today it doesn't provide people with the same chances as it used to."

"I just really don't know how to answer it shortly."

"If there was one thing I could say to Americans, that would be, "There are lots of things that matter in this world, beyond the borders of your own country. If you want to be a great country, focus on education and the next generation. Make sure that young Americans grow to become citizens of the world, with knowledge and compassion."

Omar, age 23, Egypt

"I love Hollywood and how they always show America, but they always frame the Middle East with incorrect information, and people learn from this stuff. They think the Middle East is only people living in the desert, riding camels to school, etc. And I like the people. I have lots of American friends that I really like."

"Well, what Trump is doing right now is insulting my religion, which people have the wrong idea about, and he's destroying lots of people's lives too and it's racist."

"I would say that the people are very nice and I really like them. Like all other friends from different countries, we are all the same."

Trinidad, age 20, Greece/Chile/Egypt

"I think of an eagle."

"They don't affect my day to day but I do plan on moving to the U.S. at some point so I try to keep up to date."

"I would tell them to fight for what is right, and to keep going until every person has the rights that should guaranteed to them!"

Berit, age 48, Germany

"A huge country with friendly people."

"We are only discussing about stupid things Mr. Trump is doing and discussing who voted for him and why. I’m scared about what else he will do and he and his stupid behavior will cause a 3rd world war."

"I feel safe in my country without having a weapon and even though there are Muslims."
"USA, wake up! We are all good people and assholes don’t have a certain nationality."

Robin, age 22, Belgium

"The Trump, is there anything else you can think about when America is the subject these days?"

"They don't, not yet at least, but I'm pretty sure Trump is gonna f*** the NATO both ways and that will probably have a negative effect on our economics."

"Next time, don't make the elections into the decade's biggest joke."