I Won’t Stop Mothering You

I Won’t Stop Mothering You

A letter to all my friends that referred to me as Mom.

160
I Won’t Stop Mothering You

Dear Friends,

Remember how you all used to jokingly refer to me as the mom? Even going so far as to calling me Mama Marissa? Well, I just want to remind you that even though we’re miles apart now, I won’t stop mothering you.

Come to me even if we haven’t talked in a while and I’ll welcome you just as the prodigal son was welcomed. Don’t be worried that we haven’t talked in a while. I understand that sometimes life gets in the way and communication gets lost.

I’ll remind you now that you can come to me if you’re upset. I may have that sixth sense that seems to tell me when you need me, but I might not always act on it because I don’t want to be clingy. After all, even mothers need you to come to them sometimes. So come to me when you’re upset and I’ll try to make things better. I might not always have the answer, but I can try to help.

I’ll give you hints on how to be a better person. I’ll turn my volume on just for you, so if you call or text me in the middle of the night I’ll be sure to pick up. I’ll talk to you about your break-up for hours and remind you that you are queen and you deserve more. I’ll remind you that you need to eat properly and get enough sleep. That it’s okay if you need to take care of yourself and forget about everyone else for a while.

No matter what, I’ll still be there to help you pick up the pieces when it seems everything is falling apart. I’ll hold your hand through text messages and phone calls when you have a big test coming up, you fought with your parents or you just need someone to hold your hand for a while. Because I understand, sometimes all we need is for someone to hold our hand and say everything is going to turn out okay.

If all else fails I’ll remind you how much I love you, how beautiful you are, what a wonderful person you and most importantly, I’ll remind you everything is going to be okay. But in case you don’t want to bother me (you’re never bothering me), repeat after me: I am strong, I am wanted, I am valuable, I am loved, I can and will get through this.

Oh my darling “children,” just remember I’ll always be there for you. If you’re lucky I’ll bring some chocolate or my homemade cookies.

Love,

Mama Marissa