The Wonderful Feeling of Getting Rid of Things

Donate it or throw it away for a nice bit of weightlessness

9
Ben Neale

Now, I do not consider myself a hoarder. Yet, I definitely overstuff my closets and drawers with way too much stuff.

The reason is because I enjoy having options in what I have so that I do not find myself thinking, "If only I had this, I could do this." For example, I had a basket full of miscellaneous things, like hats and small gadgets, that I wanted to use as props one day if I ever decided to create more movies or videos for Youtube. I also still have my old video tape recorder in case I want to make those videos or create a scene with an old VHS ascetic.

Right??

Unfortunately, that can be a poor mindset if taken too far. I am not talking about mental disorder far where hoarding becomes a health issue. I mean keeping things for long periods of time without realizing that what you thought you were saving for something you will never actually use. When you realize that, then maybe you will realize it might be time to do some cleaning.

No, Spongebob. It does not have to be a chore. I have mentioned in a few articles that going through things does not have to be a chore. In fact, it can be fun!

That's right, cute little pug! I had fun while cleaning! Why? Well, because I started watching "The Office"!

But that is another topic entirely. Getting back on track, I actually ended up going through that basket of props and putting it mostly towards the pile of things my family gives to Goodwill. While I was sitting there, I thought of how long they had been just sitting in my closet, waiting for the day where I would say to myself, "I have the time and the motivation to make this video while I am home rather than on campus. So, out you come, little basket. Time to work your magic." Since that day has yet to come, I thought it was time to give it away and make some extra space in my closet.

Well, actually there were less "goodbyes" than there were "hello again's."

Pug, you should not be confused anymore because you know I am going to explain myself.

Oh great, now there are more of you.

Anyway, while I was going through things I uncovered some items that I had not seen in years. Things like old essays from high school that I wanted to keep in case I needed some sort of inspiration for newer essays or stories. Or the small spotlights I found at a yard sale. They came in handy when I made several videos during my junior year of high school.

I was actually able to relive many moments I had almost forgotten about. Memories I am glad I uncovered because I realized how much those things meant to my development in the long run.

All-in-all, cleaning out your closet, drawers, or shelves should not be looked at as chore. Sure, it is time consuming. Yet, it is worth it when you finally see your space with a less clutter and more room to grow.