A Letter To My Brother, Who Has Truly Enriched My Life

To My Brother, A Wonderful Soul

911
Shelby Hosack

The day that you were born was one that my newly turned, three-year-old self, was the most excited for. A baby brother was all little me patiently waited for and dreamed about for nine months. You were the smallest bundle of joy and I couldn't wait to meet you.

Born only four days after my third birthday, you were like a belated birthday present. As young as I was, I knew that I was the luckiest little girl to have you. I knew I would try to be the best big sister that you could ever have for as long as I lived.

I loved watching you grow.

I watched you grow up as I watched myself. We grew together and separately as siblings. We were the same and, yet, completely different. From the youngest age, we helped shape each other. You taught me as I taught you.

You showed me what it was like to be another individual, to see that other minds are different. You helped me. You were my best friend. The OG best friend. Our childhood was shared with the many memories of growing up with you.

And it was a glorious childhood.

It was filled with constant imaginary friends, shared birthday parties, playing "pretend." There were endless adventures within our own imaginations that we shared with one another behind the walls of blanket forts and cushion houses.

So many times I remember running through rain showers, splashing in pools, hiding in the dark, all with you by my side. They are some of my fondest memories. The times when life was simpler and all that mattered was waking up and watching cartoons, with you. When all that mattered was filling my days with fun, with you.

Our bond means the most to me.

Despite all of the wonderful memories that have blessed me through the years, the bond we share as brother and sister is what I will always hold dearest to my heart. Though, as we grew older, we grew farther apart, our bond was never broken. Through all fights, we came back together. Through all the hard times we were there for each other. When times got tough, we fought for each other.

I watched you fall into your worst days and helped you back up into your best light, as you've done for me many times. I will always protect you, no matter the circumstance. I would do anything to ensure your safety and happiness. I pinky promise to always hold the bond we have to the highest honor. It is the closest of bonds and it is all I could ever ask for.

I am so lucky.

I am lucky to have the honor of calling you my brother. And though I do not get to see you often anymore, I see that you have turned into a wonderful being that deserves everything the world has to offer. You are bright and resilient. I know that you will continue to grow into a prosperous member of society, as well as a true man. You have always been there and continue to be the best little brother anybody could ask for.

Now you're sixteen.

I grew up with you, watched you, helped you, loved you, for sixteen years this day. And, yet, you have impacted my life more than I could have ever done for yours. You've enriched every aspect of my being and have brought light when there was darkness. You have grown from such a small, fragile, cooing baby into a strong, determined, handsome young man.

Your intelligence exceeds my own and I see the success you will have just by looking into your eyes. Your sense of humor leaves those around you crying with laughter, you're the hilarious type. Your kind heart melts the ice that fills the world today. And your soul is wise, even with your young age. I am completely and utterly impressed with you as a being. I can't wait to see who you become.

Thank you.

Thank you, my sweet Bubby...For the many serious and laughable memories. For being one of the best people I will ever know. For being pure of heart and kind in manner. For an unforgettable childhood. For a wonderful life. But, most of all, for the honor of being your sister.

Happy Sixteenth Birthday.

Love Always,

Shelby

A.K.A ,

Elberooni