Feminists Should Focus On Women's Rights Abroad Instead Of In The U.S.

Saudi Arabian Women Are Finally Able To Drive And Yet You’re Complaining About Women’s Rights In The U.S?

It is like heaven on earth in the United States in comparison.

277

For years, Saudi Arabian women yearned to hit the roads legally and be able to drive.

Because of the laws under the government, many Saudi Arabian women are restricted and unable to do many things that people around the world take for granted. Some include making decisions without male permission, having a specific dress code, swimming in public, and even trying on clothes when shopping.

This decree to lift the ban on driving for women has been long awaited and many have fought long and hard for this right. Women have been arrested and jailed due to protesting. In 1990, 47 women wrote a letter to the governor of Riyadh Province, letting him know that they were going to drive. When they never heard back from him, on November 6, 1990, the women got into cars and drove all around town. Eventually, word got around and they were stopped by both the traffic police and religious police.

These 47 women defied their husbands, relatives, neighbors, and gathered together to invoke on the right they so desperately deserved. After the women were arrested, they went to the police station where they stayed until they, and their male relatives, signed promises that they wouldn't drive again.

More events have occurred since then to encourage the ban to be lifted. In 2013, a few dozen women jumped into vehicles and violated the social code, and many posted videos. In 2014, a woman was arrested after she tried to cross the border in a car and was detained for 73 days.

And now. Just recently, in 2018, these Saudi Arabian women were granted the right to drive.

And yet, Americans are complaining about dress codes in school, a wage gap (that has been debunked by many scholars before), reproductive rights, and many more on a long list. There have been marches and movements in the U.S. to bring awareness to these "causes," which the media eats right up.

But, as women, living in the United States of America, it is like heaven on earth in comparison. Women can walk outside, jump in their car and go wherever they want, with or without a man. They work hard, have outstanding careers, care for their family, can have an opinion, wear whatever they want, and vote (which was just recently allowed in Saudi Arabia in 2015).

Women have many God-given rights and are not restricted to anything in the United States, and compared to countries such as Saudi Arabia, women are queens.

So why does American culture complain?

Uproars occur when a girl gets dress coded at her high school for wearing spaghetti straps or an inappropriate outfit. When in reality, these schools have dress codes for the sake of keeping the atmosphere appropriate and classy. Men, in fact, have to adhere to the dress policy too and are not allowed to wear certain items as well because it can be deemed, "distracting."

Do American women forget that many girls in other countries can't even go to school? That they are not allowed to get an education or can't afford it? Those women are constantly referred to as mere objects and not even the government protects them? Why do they complain about school rules when they can go to school for free for 13 years? Why do they protest when the law defends them? Many women in those countries would trade places with them in an instant.

People are quick to attack at the smallest of things and do so without thinking. When women cannot get free birth control or are denied abortion because of a religious preference, it is an uproar. If someone catcalls, it is worth a death sentence.

The theatrics are getting out of hand and hard shells need to be grown instead of constantly being on the prowl for every tiny misdemeanor that may or may not be against women.

America is a great country where women can vote, go to school, run for office, be a CEO, and more, not just because they are "granted permission" to do so, but because it is a right that everyone, no matter male or female, deserves to have. And the red, white, and blue, grants it freely and earnestly.

Saudi Arabian women were just granted the right to drive. They still can't make big decisions without a male's permission, expose too much flesh, interact with men, swim in public, compete freely in sports, and even try on clothes when shopping. They can't do things people take for granted every day.

Yet, you're holding a protest sign because you aren't allowed to wear spaghetti straps in school?