Women Finally Get A Say About Their Bodies In Ireland

In a land slide, Ireland votes to abolish abortion law.

393
Instagram by Amnesty Ireland

This past Friday the Republic of Ireland was called to the ballot to decide whether the 8th Amendment of their constitution would be repealed. This law, which puts equal emphasis on the life of a woman as well as the life of an unborn fetus, has not only forced thousands of women to travel abroad to seek basic health coverage but also cost some women their lives. This means that Ireland currently has one of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world.

Fortunately, the outcome of this referendum could have not been more incredible.

On, what most Irish people would describe as a perfect summer day, less then 24 hours after the polls had closed it became official! Over 66% of the country decided that it was finally time. Time to give women the right to make decisions about their own bodies and to legalize some of the most basic health care in Ireland. No one could have imagined that the result would be so decisive. The whole country could finally breath again.

After months of intense campaigning on both sides, the nation had been captured by what had become a very public issue. Women who found themselves pregnant in Ireland had such limited choices that most of them had to travel abroad to receive a termination regardless of the reason for said procedure.

Abortion had been so highly stigmatized that it was something that was not talked about, not even with family or closest friends. However, in the months leading up to the referendum women finally found the courage to share their stories. Even now they feared of being stigmatized but realized that they couldn't hold back any more.

The truth about the horror that this amendment brought to women was finally exposed and people realized it was time for a change.

Women who had been treated as second-class citizens in this country stood up and demanded that their health care no longer be outsourced. However, it wasn't just women who rose to the occasion. Men as well joined in on this issue showing their support and love for their mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends, and friends.

Countless, support groups showed up online and in real life giving people a chance to share their stories and to get actively involved as well. There was door to door campaigning, putting up booths in malls and in town, as well as raising money. The undying optimism and sheer determination of these activists made it an incredible movement.

Even though, it might not have been clear from the very beginning that this referendum would turn out in their favor, it has changed Ireland. The stigma around abortion is finally becoming less, and especially women are finally able to start healing from the trauma that they had to go through.

What happened this past weekend will go down in the history books.

The people of Ireland have decided to listen to their women and to finally give them a choice. The choice to do what's right for them and to be able to access health care in their own country without having to travel abroad.

It is extremely hard to put into words the emotions this day brought out. It seems that it has brought the people of Ireland closer together. It has set an example for women around the world that it's possible. It's possible to fight for your rights and see them come true. Despite all the bad in the world, there is still good left.

Waking up this morning was incredible. It was the first day in a new chapter for Ireland. The country has finally caught up with most other European nations. It has become a country that is showing compassion and care for its women and has acknowledged that it was time to repeal the 8th.