Women's March: "But What Does it Accomplish?"

As a young woman in college surrounded by smart, dedicated and wishful women I simply can't wrap my head around the idea of living amongst people who still question events like the Women's March on Saturday, January 21, 2017. "My question is.. what does it accomplish" was something that was asked to my roommate on social media.

The United States has been a country of progress and freedom and this new administration promotes the opposite. It seems like this administration wants to move the country backward, away from the recent accomplishments. There is so much to be said but not enough people are listening. The Women's March has been a very necessary exemplification of resistance. We are resisting because we have to.

This march has accomplished so many things already. It brought people together making history as the biggest protest in the U.S. It is raising awareness about pressing issues like the defunding of Planned Parenthood and same-sex marriage. People stood together marching for equality and respect, for EVERYONE. We needed a big movement to let us know that we are not alone.

I realize that people around me simply don't see the important of this, but how can you sit in front of me asking, "but what's the point"? This movement is so much bigger than politics and who you voted for. This movement is because we demand respect. It was time to say something, yell something, and we did.

For the first time since the election campaigns started, I felt safe. For the first time after the election results, I found hope. Now I truly know that I do not stand alone.

P.S. Girls just want to have Fun-damental rights