The Women's March Was About More Than Trump

"The march was an opportunity for people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicity and many more to come together and march for something they believed needed to change and improvement."

2
www.instagram.com

On January 21st, 2017, all across the country and world women, men, and children came together to call for equality and change.

The Women's March was much larger than people were expecting. It was a great thing that brought so many people together. On social media, the march got so much backlash and negativity, even though it was an empowering and inspirational event. The march was the day after the inauguration but Donald Trump WAS NOT the main reason for the march.

The march was an opportunity for people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicity and much more to come together and march for something they believed needed to change and improvement. Many believe that the Women's March was an anti- Trump protest. Yes, some were there because they wanted to stand up against Donald Trump, but that was not the main reason millions came together on January 21st.

People have seemed to misconstrue the actual reason for the march. Many also believe the march was just in support of Planned Parenthood. Yes, many people did march because they felt that women should have the right to birth control, std testing, mammograms and many other things that Planned Parenthood provides. Others believe it was an anti-Trump protest, which wasn't the case either. We marched for equal rights.

We marched for women's rights: the right to get the same pay as a man and our bodies to not be controlled by the men in government. We marched for people with disabilities. We marched for LGBTQ rights. We marched for good education. We marched for the environment and climate change. We marched for immigrant rights. We marched to end gun violence. We marched for human rights. People wanted change and/or rights for all of these. The main focus was not Trump.

January 21st was such an empowering day for many people, myself included. It showed that even if the person with the most respected seat in the United States is trying to divide us, we refuse. We will fight back. This isn't the end of it either. We won't let this country become one of ignorance and division. We will continue to fight for love and equality for all.