18 Women Who Could Be Our First Female President In 2020

Who runs the world?

754
MSNBC

Cosmopolitan released an article at the end of June titled 7 Women Who Could Be Our First Female President and I think they may have left some of our country's most qualified (and conservative) women out.

Now don't get me wrong, the women they listed are MORE than qualified and could be/are great leaders. But here is a new list with a few more wonderful ladies the country should look out for in 2020 as Presidential candidates (or congressional, or in the cabinet, or anywhere else because these ladies slay). Settle in, there are a few!

1. Condoleezza Rice

Like most politicians being floated as a potential Presidential candidate, she has said that she has no plans to run for president. However, as former director of Soviet and East European affairs with the National Security Council and the first black woman to serve as U.S. Secretary of State (she became the nation's 66th Secretary of State in 2004,) I'd say she is more than qualified. Her future plans include focusing on being an educator (likely at Stanford where she was a political science professor for three decades.)

2. Nikki Haley

Nikki Haley is the United States Ambassador to the United Nations appointed by President Donald Trump. She was governor of South Carolina from 2011 to 2017 and was the first female and Indian-American to serve in this office. Haley is anti-tax and fiscally conservative, a member of the Tea Party movement, and was endorsed by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin and Jenny Sanford, incumbent first lady of South Carolina. She was also rumored to be Romney's pick for VP in 2012 before Paul Ryan. Haley's poise and strong response after the shooting rampage at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston rallied South Carolinian's and took a stand behind the removal of the Confederate flag at the state capitol.

3. Susana Martinez

Susana Martinez was sworn in as governor of New Mexico on January 1, 2011, and re-elected in 2014. The chairwoman of the Republican Governors Association, she is New Mexico’s first female governor and the first elected Hispanic female governor in U.S. history. Prior to serving as governor, she was a prosecutor for 25 years. She was also on Mitt Romney's short list for VP candidates.

4. Carly Fiorina

Carly Fiorina was hired as Hewlett-Packard's CEO in 1999, she was the first woman to take control of a Fortune 100 company. After stepping down from HP in 2005, she became a commentator for Fox News and served as a consultant to John McCain’s 2008 U.S. Presidential campaign. In 2010, Fiorina made a run for the U.S. Senate in California. She was defeated in that race, but she then set her sights on the White House. In 2015, Fiorina announced that she was running for the Republican nomination for president. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that we could see another Fiorina candidacy in 2020.

5. Kelly Ayotte

In 2011, Kelly Ayotte was elected to represent New Hampshire in the U.S. Senate, after previously serving as the state's attorney general, the first woman to serve as attorney general of the state. In 2016, she was defeated in her reelection bid by Democrat Maggie Hassan in a very tight race. In 2006 and 2007, Business NH Magazine named Ayotte one of the state's 10 most powerful people. We could use a powerful woman at the helm.

6. Michele Bachmann

Michele Bachmann is a congresswoman best known for her conservative Tea Party politics, and her candidacy for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. Bachmann quickly rose as a Conservative Republican favorite in Minnesota and became one of the most conservative members of the Minnesota Senate. Bachmann was the first Republican woman ever to represent Minnesota in Congress where she originated the Tea Party Caucus.

7. Michelle Malkin

Carrying on the anti-establishment, non-politician vibe the country has going on right now, Michelle Malkin is an American conservative blogger, political commentator, and author. Her weekly, syndicated column appears in a number of newspapers and websites nationwide. She has been a guest on MSNBC, Fox News Channel, C-SPAN, and national radio programs. Malkin has written four books published by the conservative Regnery. If we don't ever see her make a run for the White House, we should definitely hope to see her in somebody's cabinet come 2020.

8. Susan Collins

First elected in 1996, United States Senator from Maine, Senator Collins, has earned a national reputation as an effective legislator who works across party lines to seek consensus on our nation’s most important issues. Senator Collins ranks fifteenth in Senate seniority and is the most senior Republican woman! She is a skilled legislator and has significant accomplishments in national defense, education, business, health care and then some. Collins has been ranked the most bipartisan member of the U.S. Senate and we could use someone in the Oval who can bridge some serious partisan division.

9. Joni Ernst

In November 2014, Joni was elected as the first woman to serve in federally elected office from the State of Iowa and also became the first female combat veteran elected to serve in the United States Senate. Ernst is committed to ensuring the government runs effectively and efficiently which means cutting out-of-control spending, reducing taxes, eliminating harmful regulations and balancing the budget - sounds like a plan we can all get behind.

10. Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin, most commonly recognized as John McCain's 2008 running mate, is the second woman and first Republican female to run for vice president on a U.S. major party's ticket. Alaska's Governor from 2006-2009, she was referred to as "the Joan of Arc of Alaska politics" and " one of the most popular local politicians in America". After her resignation as Governor of Alaska in 2009, Palin became associated with the Tea Party movement, a generally conservative and libertarian group that endorsed reduced government spending, lower taxes, and a closer adherence to the original U.S. Constitution. She endorsed a handful of successful Tea Party candidates in the 2010 mid-term elections, and also launched the "Pink Elephant Movement", which she started as a way to endorse female GOP candidates.

11. KT Mcfarland

Kathleen Troia “KT” McFarland held national security posts in the Nixon, Ford and Reagan Administrations: as an aide to Dr. Henry Kissinger on the NSC Staff (1970-76); member of the Senate Armed Services Committee Staff (1981); Senior Speechwriter to Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger and later the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (PA) and Pentagon Spokesman (1981-84). Ms. McFarland received the Defense Department’s highest civilian award for her work in the Reagan Administration (Distinguished Service Award, 1985). She ran as a Republican candidate for the US Senate from New York (2006). McFarland was also nominated as President Trumps National Security Advisor (Jamestown). Never underestimate a powerful Reagan Republican.

12. Bay Buchanan

Another Reagan Republican, Bay Buchanan was the national Treasurer of Ronald Reagan's presidential campaigns in 1980, who appointed her Treasurer of the United States after being elected President. At age 32, Buchanan was the youngest person to ever hold the position. Buchanan has worked on six presidential campaigns, hosted her own television and radio shows, and has spent over twenty years as a political commentator as well as being an author and business woman. Like I said, Reagan Republicans.

13. Mia Love

Mia lives by the ethos, "You will not be a burden to society. You will give back." Love served two terms as a city councilwoman in Saratoga Springs, Utah where she eventually became mayor. Under her leadership, the city was able to successfully navigate the drastic transition from agricultural fields to a booming residential community. Love is best known for her conservative positions on limited government, increased citizen liberties and limited restraints on business as well as urging the federal government to stay out of the way of business and out of the lives of citizens. Convictions she felt so strongly about, she ran for congress in 2012 and 2014 and was victorious both times. She is the first Haitian American and the first black female Republican in Congress, as well as the first Black American to be elected to Congress from Utah. I love Representative Love's limited government ideals and I think (hope) we'll see more of it in the future!

14. Mary Fallin

Mary Fallin, Governor of Oklahoma, is focused on creating Oklahoma jobs, reducing government waste and making state government work better for Oklahomans. The first female governor of her state, she is yet another trailblazer! Prior to serving as governor, Fallin represented the people of Oklahoma in a number of state and federal positions. She served two terms as a state representative before becoming Oklahoma’s first Republican and first woman lieutenant governor in 1995. After serving as lieutenant governor for 12 years, Fallin served two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives from 2007 to 2011 (ok.gov). Today, Oklahoma’s unemployment rate has fallen to just 5.3 percent, one of the lowest rates in the nation, the Rainy Day Savings Account, once empty, now stands at over a half billion dollars and Oklahoma families have thrived, with per capita income growth rising at the 4th fastest rate in the nation since 2011. Okay Mary. We see you.

Don't ever tell me I'm not inclusive.

1. Elizabeth Warren

Now that Clinton has been benched, Warren is being floated as a potential democratic candidate. Her independent and tireless efforts to protect taxpayers, to hold Wall Street accountable, and to ensure tough oversight of both the Bush and Obama Administrations has won praise from both sides of the aisle. She is widely praised for her critical thinking, political courage and persistence (see is the source of the iconic "nevertheless, she persisted" meme after all.) She previously worked as Assistant to the President and Special Advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury but right now she's busy being a senator from Massachusetts and like most, has said she has no plans to run. Keep persisting, girl.

2. Tulsi Gabbard

Tulsi is a polynesian-caucasian from Hawaii. She was the youngest person to ever be elected to the Hawaii State Legislature. In 2004, Gabbard volunteered to join the 29th Brigade and fought for our country in Iraq. Since then, she has gotten experience as a legislative aide in Washington, D.C., city council member in Honolulu and a congresswoman for Hawaii's 2nd Congressional District. As a mixed race woman, combat veteran, martial artist, lifelong vegetarian, and practicing Hindu, she is the embodiment of the type of diversity which is at the very heart of what America was founded upon. It's unlikely that Tulsi Gabbard is done setting "first ever" milestones and the country should be excited for what she does next.

3. Tammy Duckworth

Tammy Duckworth was elected to the House of Representatives in 2012 and is running to represent Illinois in the United States Senate. Duckworth, like so many of these wonderful women, too served her country during Operation Iraqi Freedom. On November 12, 2004 Tammy’s UH‐60 Black Hawk helicopter was hit by a rocket propelled grenade. She lost both legs and partial use of her right arm in the explosion. As a result of her injuries, Tammy was awarded the Purple Heart. She was nominated by President Obama to be Assistant Secretary at the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. She has been a strong advocate for veterans, something we certainly haven't seen enough of and hope to see more of in the future!

4. Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris is an American attorney and politician who currently serves as a senator from California. U.S. Senator Kamala D. Harris was the first African-American and first woman to serve as Attorney General of California and the second African-American woman to be elected to the United States Senate in history (Carol Moseley Braun was the first). From 2003 to 2010 Harris served as the District Attorney of San Francisco and in 2010 she ran for and became California’s 32nd Attorney General – and once again, the first woman, the first African American, and the first South Asian to hold the office in the state’s history - could she be the first in the Oval? We'll see!