12 Women Crashing The Glass Ceiling You Need To Follow On Instagram ASAP

Boss Girl Vibes are all you need in your feed.

52

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the glass ceiling as "an intangible barrier within a hierarchy that prevents women or minorities from obtaining upper-level positions."

However, in my opinion, women and minorities more than belong in positions of power and should be given equal opportunity to succeed and thrive. Fortunately, women and minorities both have put in extremely hard work to break the glass ceiling.

An example that is super notable and recent in the United States is Kamala Harris becoming the Vice President-elect being both the first woman and South Asian, African-American to be in that position in this country.

One of her quotes from her acceptance speech that all women and other historically oppressed groups can relate to is, "Every little girl watching tonight sees this is a country of possibilities."

Here are 12 women that also currently inspire us all to break the glass ceiling and to keep fighting for equality each and every day.

1. Megan Rapinoe

She is most known for her fight for both LGBTQ+ and women's rights both on and off the soccer field where she has won multiple gold medals and championships as part of the U.S. women's soccer team. She currently has a new book out as well. She was one of the front liners of the fight for equal pay for the U.S. women's soccer team.

2. Lilly Singh

Lilly Singh is the current late night talk show host for "A Little Late with Lilly Singh" and is a current UNICEF Goodwill ambassador who fights to end bullying and other injustices across the globe. On top of all of that, she is the first bisexual and only woman to host a late night talk show.

3. Katrina Scott

Katrina Scott is one of the co-founders of a women empowering fitness app called 'Tone It Up' and empowers and inspires women every day to be their best selves. She's made multiple boss moves including being a New York Times Bestseller and growing her business.

4. Greta Thunberg

Greta Thunberg has been known for her fight for climate change and other environmental issues and is still only a teenager. She also is an outspoken opponent of Donald Trump. She was also named TIME's person of the year in 2019.

5. Ilhan Omar

Another political glass-ceiling breaker, Ilhan Omar is part of the infamous or otherwise famous political group known as "AOC plus three." Ilhan Omar is a representative of Minnesota within the United States House of Representatives and was the first naturalized citizen born in Africa, Somali American and woman of color to be a Minnesota representative.

6. Sheryl Sandberg

Sheryl Sandberg is currently the Chief Operating Officer of Facebook breaking the glass ceiling for women in positions of power and in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).

7. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

The Republicans in the conservative field often criticize her for her ideals and plans such as the Green New Deal. However, AOC represents minority women and her district of the Bronx and Queens with strength. Including a speech on the representative floor addressing a male representative who called her a derogatory term: "I do not need Representative Yoho to apologize to me. Clearly he does not want to. Clearly when given the opportunity he will not. And I will not stay up late at night waiting for an apology from a man who has no remorse over calling women & using abusive language towards women."

8. Ayanna Pressley

Another member of "AOC plus 3," Ayanna Pressley also sits on the House of Representatives fighting for equality and social justice. Some of her remarkable glass ceiling achievements include being the first African American woman elected to the city council in the city of Boston as well as being the first African American woman elected to the Congress from the state of Massachusetts.

9. Rashida Tlaib

The final member of "AOC plus 3" is Rashida Tlaib, who is a member of Congress from the state of Michigan as well as a lawyer. She was also the first Palestinian-American to be elected to Congress.

10. Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon is another CEO who is currently chief executive officer of Ulta Beauty breaking the glass ceiling of women in the CEO position of fortune 500 companies.

11. Ava Duvernay

Ava Duvernay is an African-American filmmaker who became the first Black woman to win the directing award in the U.S. dramatic competition at the Sundance Film Festival breaking glass ceilings for women and minorities in Hollywood.

12. Kamala Harris

Last but not least, follow the next vice-president elect, Kamala Harris.