Women Of Asheville Show Solidarity With Women's March
Politics

Women's March on Asheville held nearly 10,000 protesters as a sister march to Women's March on Washington

9

The weather was chilly as cloudy skies loomed over Downtown Asheville. However, the cold forecast didn't stop nearly 10,000 protesters from making their way to the Women's March. A sea of pink hats filled Pack Square Park in downtown Asheville as speakers began their speeches.

"Today we march for tomorrow. Today we fight together," Asheville Mayor Esther Manheimer said.

The chants within the march were "Forward together, not one step back," "This is what democracy looks like" and even Obama's campaign slogan "Fired up! Ready to go!"

This march was in solidarity wiith the Women's March on Washington as a response to Trump's presidency. Many wished to voice opposition and show they would be willing to fight against injustices his presidency may bring.

"My reasons for marching," said middle aged protestor Jessica Bobbit. "I believe in America no human is illegal, women's rights are human's rights, science is real and love wins."

The crowd began to exit the park as they began to march through the streets of downtown, chanting in soidarity.

"I'm here to support the people who are here to support the earth and for future generations. Women are holding this awakening, we're all here to support it. We're here to represent, we're supporting our community getting together to do this," protester Alaina Quu said.

The crowd was filled with people of different gender identities. Women knitting pink hats for others as people stormed the streets. Multiple Asheville businesses held signs on their windows in support of the march as people cheered on the marchers from the sidelines.

"I was really ashamed of the country when Donald Trump was elected president," young adult Abe Caplahn said during the march. "Today, not sure if I've ever been prouder."