Women In The Bible: Rahab

Women In The Bible: Rahab

A woman of courage, faith, and kindness

572
Women In The Bible: Rahab

Who was Rahab?

Rahab was an Amorite woman that lived in a house along the walls of Jericho. Her name means "insolence" or "fierceness." The Bible refers to her as a harlot. As a result, she became an outcast in society. She also eventually married Salmon and gave birth to Boaz, who married Ruth.

What she did

Joshua sent two spies to scout the Promised Land. These spies eventually found Rahab's house and stayed with her. The king of Jericho told Rahab that some Israelite men came to investigate the land and commanded her to bring the men to him. However, she told the king that she didn't know where the men came from and hid the spies under flax stalks she arranged on her roof.

She also told the spies that she knew the Lord gave them their land and that everyone in the land became fearful due to their presence because they heard about how the Lord dried up the waters of the Red Sea when they came out of Egypt and helped the people defeat the Amorite kings. In addition, Rahab said that everyone's courage failed because they understood God's power. Due to this realization, Rahab asks the men to swear that God will show kindness to her family in return for her kindness. In return for her kindness, the men promised that they would show kindness and faithfulness to her when the Lord gave them the land.

"I know that the Lord has given you this land and that the terror of you has fallen on us, and everyone who lives in the land is panicking because of you. For we have heard how the Lord dried up the waters of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two Amorite kings you completely destroyed across the Jordan. When we heard this, we lost heart, and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on earth below," Joshua 2:9-11.

Rahab gave them a rope to climb down from her window and told them to go to the hill country, where the king's men wouldn't find them, for three days.

Why her story matters.

Rahab helped continue a family line that resulted in the Messiah's birth, according to the covenant God made with Abraham that continued through David. Her actions demonstrate how God redeems people from their sin if they desire to live their lives for him. She also had tremendous faith in the Lord's character and showed kindness towards the spies she sheltered, even though they were foreigners in her land. Although she could receive punishment for her actions, Rahab trusted in the Lord's kindness and blessings.

"Now, please swear to me by the Lord that you will also show kindness to my family, because I showed kindness to you. Give me a sure sign"- Joshua 2:12

In turn, her story also indicates how God remains generous to those who help his people and care for others more than themselves. Rahab was also courageous because she willingly disobeyed the king and helped the spies escape.