Being A Woman Is Much More Than Breasts

Being A Woman Is Much More Than Just Breasts

My value is not determined by my breasts, and neither is my identity.

43

It was recently brought to my attention that some people believe that whether or not you identify as a woman is based on one thing: breasts.

As a woman this not only pisses me off, but it's incredibly offensive.

I don't want to be identified by my breasts. I've spent almost twelve years fighting against the sexualization of my breasts. Fighting to be seen as an actual person and not just a pair of breasts to be fondled and enjoyed. Fighting the mindset that my breasts somehow limit my intelligence and my ability to think and have opinions.

Shame on you for implying that my breasts somehow validate my existence, determine my value as a human being, and shape my identity. Shame on you for saying that my place in this world is determined by the fact that I have breasts - that it's all I'm good for and all I have to offer.

As a woman, I am disgusted and offended that you - someone who has "fought so hard" and "sacrificed so much" to become a woman, someone who is so proud and eager to finally be who they feel they are meant to be - can be so careless as to continue propagating the male mindset that sexualizes women and reduces us to nothing but breasts.

You have no idea what it's like.

You go around flaunting your progress: "Excuse you. I have breasts now, obviously I'm a woman" and you have no idea just how insulting and degrading that statement is. You are the embodiment of the mindset we fight against every single day - you make it OK for us to be identified and valued based on the presence of our breasts.

You have no idea what we go through every day, the struggles we face, the obstacles we overcome - all because we were born with breasts, something we have zero control over.

Have you had to endure sexist, sexual comments about your breasts? Have you had to fight to have your voice heard because people think your breasts take away your intelligence and your voice? Have you had to fight for the basic common courtesy of eye contact - "Excuse you, my eyes are up here."

You have no idea what it truly means to be a woman, because in your eyes being a woman is as simple as having breasts.

The reality is that being a woman, truly identifying as a woman and feeling like that is your true self, is about so much more than breasts. It's a mindset, a mentality, a way of life. It's not just about looking the part, or even having the parts.

Women are fundamentally different than men in every way possible: biologically, emotionally, and mentally.

Our differences run much deeper than just breasts. We think differently, we react differently, we feel differently.

You don't understand what it's like to think through a problem like a woman, to lean more towards intuition, stability, and emotions over logic and reason as a natural part of your neural pathways.

You don't know what it's like to use your feelings and your emotions to navigate new situations instinctively and without hesitation, awareness, or control.

You don't know what it's like to have your brain pre-programmed to make decisions based almost entirely on intuition, feelings, and gut-reactions instead of logic, rationality, and reason.

Science has proven time and time again that these are fundamental, automatic, and instinctual ways men and women are different. It's just the way our brains are wired - it's not something breasts can give you.

But you go ahead and do you: flaunt your breasts and get angry that people don't notice them, throw your tantrums on social media, continue encouraging others to identify and value women based on their breasts.