Women In 2017

Women In 2017

We have come a long way politically

8
Women In 2017
NEW REPUBLIC

America has been experiencing some major changes and movements as of late. On January 20th, 2017, President Donald Trump was inaugurated, and on the next day, The Women's March took place. These two events hold a very important place in American history. Women from all over the country took to the streets to have their voices heard for different reasons. Women are making their interests clear to the public, and the media is broadcasting it to the world. Women are also being seen more and more in the political establishment. As Trump assembles his administration, he has selected three women already: Nikki Haley for US Ambassador to the UN, Elaine Chao for transportation secretary, Seema Verma for Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and Betsy DeVos for education secretary. After the presidential election, I believe women are growing in American politics.

Women were political outsiders but have become part of the political establishment. As I stated, Trump has selected four women, many children to immigrants, to be in his cabinet. Race and gender inequality have been a big deal that people are worried and protesting about. Trump touched on those two issues while assigning his cabinet. I only see women rising even more in the political establishment. In fact, "since the early 1980s women have gained a steady share of the percentage of Democratic officeholders". This is a great sign and milestone for the women of America. Although, there is still plenty of room for improvement. Women represented about a quarter of the Democratic congressional delegation but less than 10% of the Republican caucus after the 2010 elections. I would like to see these numbers go up on both sides. However, there has been a substantial change in the presence of women in high level politics. Richard L. Fox states that “Nancy Pelosi served as the first woman Speaker of the House from 2007-2010. Hilary was the first woman to be a serious contender for her party's presidential nomination in 2008. Sarah Palin became only the second woman selected as a vice presidential candidate and is now a familiar political figure”. There are many more examples of women's achievements in the political establishment, and there will be many more women to take a step forward and make a change.

Women’s interests are clearly defined, but not all women agree with the interests at hand; in this way, women's interests can be both unifying and divisive. Some of the interests of women include equal pay, equal representation in the working world, and the right to their own bodies. Sharing these interests is what unifies most women. The interest of women's rights to their own bodies is clear but depending on the two women, the topic of the right to an abortion may be unifying or divisive. For example, if women are pro-life and go to a clinic to protest, they are being unified. If women are pro-choice and march for the right, they are being unified. The differing views can be divisive though. Women's interests are also represented by women of power. For example, “analysis of bill sponsorship and floor remarks in the U.S. Congress find that women are more likely than men to focus on ‘women's issues,’ such as gender equity, day care, flex time, abortion, minimum wage increases, and the extension of the food stamp program”. The interests held by the women of America are very clear, and the media also plays a role in getting the message out.

Media depicts women in different ways when they engage in the political system. The views of the person putting out the media is what changes the way women are depicted. Media depicts voters, protesters, candidates, and elected officials differently. Media as regards to voters is just a statistical value. The media does not really treat male voters any different than female voters. Protesters are a different story although it depends on the protest. The media talks about protesters as a whole, but with the Women’s Marches around the country, the protests were seen as peaceful. The media showed no violence at the Women's March. The women’s protests aren't depicted as violent, and there hasn't been a violent one. The protests against Trump, however, have been very violent, so there are lots of news depictions of violence there. The depiction of women candidates changes depending on the side. For example, FOX ripped Clinton apart just as CNN ripped Trump apart. Elections are always messy with what gets released. Same goes for elected officials. The media portrays women voters, protesters, candidates, and elected officials in different ways.

America is changing and growing every day as we become a more understanding and aware nation. After the 2016 presidential election, I believe women are growing in American politics. We see women in the political establishment more and more as time goes on. Women are making their voices heard and spreading what they believe in. The outcome of the march proved the dedication women have toward their interests.