With You Is Where I Wanna Be

With You Is Where I Wanna Be

A poem about being with you, and always wanting to.

just record shopping

with you, has me so

high to the sky with love

you bring me so much

love, i don’t remember

how i was without it

and i never want

it/you to leave.

Check out my poetry book now available here.

Cover Image Credit: sheknows

13 Questions Every LGBT+ Person Has Heard Already

I promise you, pansexuals aren't attracted to kitchenware

Minority groups are often recipients of a lot of questions that come from the majority of whatever status they represent. And while a lot of people are more aware of the LGBT+ community now than ever before, there are still some things that cisgender and heterosexual people don't quite understand.

If you're here and you're queer, you've most likely gotten at least one of these questions in the last week:

1. "So who's the man/woman in your relationship?"

Honey, let me clear that up for you now (and hopefully forever) real quick: if I've got a girlfriend and I'm a girl, neither of us is the man. Same kind of idea for two men who are dating. That's kind of the whole point of a same-sex relationship.

2. "Aren't you sad that you can't have kids?"

Maybe it's disappointing for some of us that we can't have a biological child, but we can definitely have children of our own regardless of that. We can adopt a baby or have a surrogate baby and make them ours through endless love just as anyone else can.

3. "How could you EVER find another girl/guy attractive?"

We just happened to hit the genetic lottery on that one. It's all boiled down to a science—we didn't choose to feel this way, but we're sure glad we do since it just feels right.

4. "How do you have sex?"

The answers to those questions are just a Google search away, my darling. You'll see for yourself that it's easier than you think.

5. "If you're gay, does that mean you hate men/women?"

If you're a straight male or female, does that mean you hate your same-sex best friend because they aren't of the sex you're attracted to?

6. "Is it true that *insert gay stereotype here*?"

It just depends on the individual you're talking about. Also, they could be the walking epitome of homosexual for their gender, but unless you know they're okay with jokes about the stereotype, I'd keep it out of the conversation.

7. "How and when did you know you were gay?"

I can't speak for the rest of the LGBT+ community, but I secretly love when my friends are curious about how I came to discover my identity. Put me on the pedestal and I'll talk for as long as you let me.

8. "How would you know if he/she is attractive? You're gay"

We have eyes that function just like yours, silly (bonus points to you, though, if you can get your gay friend to appreciate your heterosexual crush). And besides, just because we don't buy anything from that store doesn't mean we can't window-shop, right?

9. "So how did you come out?"

We come out almost each and every day to the people we continue to meet, but chances are, you're wondering about the first time we ever disclosed our homosexual proclivities to anyone. It's either going to be a sweet, funny, or incredibly sad, or some-mixture-of-all-three kind of story…so beware.

10. "Did you ever date someone of the opposite sex?"

This only applies to strictly-gay people, but ask this question and you're guaranteed a hilariously-awkward folly about a high school boyfriend or girlfriend we really, really regret.

11. "Does every gay person fall in love with their straight best friend?"

Don't get me wrong, it happens occasionally, but anyone who's gay and has some sense will do everything in their power to avoid setting themselves up for such a disappointing heartbreak. But some of us…we can't help ourselves and we do it anyway (the heart wants what it wants, after all).

12. "Why are gay people always flaunting their sexualities in our faces?"

I wouldn't necessarily call it flaunting. And I'm sorry if, after suffering through decades of oppression, of hiding behind masks, of being persecuted for our love, and of being outright terrified to be ourselves, our celebrating seems a little excessive. We don't do it to be obnoxious on purpose, I promise, it's just that we finally have a chance to be proud of who we are and we're damn well taking it.

13. "Are you sure it's not just a phase?"

Sexual attraction, for some people, might vary and fade to a certain degree for a particular gender, but love? Love isn't a phase. Love is forever.

*gay intensifies*