Wishing Long-Distanced Birthday To My Sister

Happy birthday from Iowa!

16
Unsplash

Hey. I'm sorry we haven't been in contact that much lately. My life's been really hectic lately with finals, work, moving (again), and more. The stress level is higher than normal. I originally planned I would send you a card on your birthday but with moving the weekend before, I didn't think I would have time and wanted to focus on the moving. I have a feeling you wouldn't mind if I didn't get you a card. But I'm writing this letter as a "birthday card" to you. Hope you like it.

I know you love living out east. I could see that when I came over Christmas. There's something I must admit: it's hard having you so far away. This shouldn't come as a shock because I imagine you feel the same way. There are times when I want to get coffee together (tea for you because you hate coffee) and just have a girl talk. There are times when I need my sister's hug and soothing words. There are times when I have something I have exciting I want to tell you in person. But there are many miles before us that conflicts with those times.

I learned that in life we need focus on turning "can'ts" into "cans". So we can chat over Skype to tell you the exciting news and enjoy coffee and girl talk. As for the hug, I can just picture you giving me a hug.

Growing up, I looked up to you so much more than you probably realized. I wanted to do all the things you did, be in all the activities you were, even wanted the same clothes because I wanted to look like you. Basically, I wanted to be you. You taught me so much over the years about boys, life, grades, and etc. You taught me about hard work and perseverance pays off. You taught me to follow my own arrow. You taught me to create a path for myself. You taught me how to stand for myself. You taught me how to create my own voice.

I wish I could spend the day with you, but I hope this letter will do instead.

Happy birthday to the sister who's been there for me.

Hope it's a great day,

Melissa