To The Dog I'll Meet At The Rainbow Bridge

A note to my late dog: Thank you for nine beautiful years.

344
Jenny Cappetta

I’ve heard a few sayings about how someone has never truly opened their hearts and has never felt love until they’ve had a pet. And I, for one, will be the first to validate that.

I was only five years old when my oldest brother had come running into the house yelling that we got a dog. But at first, I didn’t believe him. Then a little fur ball came running in, immediately to greet all of us at the door. Her name was Sasha and she was an 8-week-old Rottweiler.

Years later and full grown, she weighed in at over 160 pounds, but she was one of the biggest lap dogs you’d ever meet. It's been six years since she has passed, and I still miss her so much. But I don’t think I ever properly got to thank her for the love she so selflessly shared with everyone. I never got to thank her for one of the most genuine and beautiful friendships that I’ve ever had. So I think it’s time I do.

To the best friend that I’ve ever had,

Being so young, I don’t remember much of any time before you came into the picture, which made losing you so much more difficult. You were part of the family. You and I did everything together. I remember getting ready for school, and you would be at the door to say goodbye every day. And every day, when I came off the bus and walked into the garage, it was always you that would be waiting to welcome me back home. So well behaved, never leaving the yard, never giving us a reason to worry about you. When I see the newspapers hanging from the mailboxes now, I remember when you would go fetch the paper from the mailbox every time it would come. I also very vividly remember when you would run in the sprinkler on a hot day with me. Often times sticking your head in it and trying to wrestle it (the sprinkler usually won.)

All these memories, all the times when I would be home sick from school and you wouldn’t leave my side. The nights when you would come and lick my hand if it was sticking off the couch, or you would sit in front of me when I was trying to watch my show. I also remember when you would then look back and give me this look, knowing you were blocking my view. I’m convinced you did it on purpose just to mess with me. They all come down to the night I had to say goodbye.

I know that bigger dogs don’t usually live long, but the nine years that I got to spend with you were the best years of my life. But I constantly wish I had just one more day with you. You were such a fighter. Cancer is something no living being should have to go through. But I knew you were just too tired to keep fighting once it had traveled. I called numerous times the day before the vet visit while I was at school, making sure that you were OK. Because I know that if any of the tables were turned, you’d be there for me, like you always were. And now it was my turn to be there for you.

On February 3, 2010 I said goodbye. I got to spend your last few days with you, and your last few hours. I owed it to you to make sure you were as comfortable as you could be, just as you had always done with me during my worst moments. You gave me one last hug and kiss goodbye. That is the one that I hold onto the most, the last one before I watched you take your last breath.

Thank you.

Thank you for all the times you would eat my sandwich off of my plate. Thank you for all the times you kept me company when I was home sick from school. Thank you for being there to watch me grow up. Thank you for being there when I couldn’t eat all my food, and I would “accidentally” drop it on the floor. Thank you for all the kisses- all the hugs. Thank you for showing me what genuine love actually was. The list could go on, but I’m positive it would never end.

Honestly, I miss you. I miss you every single day when I wake up. I wish you were there to see me graduate high school. I wish you were there to wish me good luck on my first day at Norwich University. And I wish you were there for my last this coming May. I wish you were still here to see all the amazing things that have happened since you left us. But instead, I knew it was time you crossed the Rainbow Bridge, it was time that you went to Heaven to watch down on me as I go on to live my life, and to watch down on your family as their lives all change and grow too. Someday I’ll see you again. And we’ll meet up at the Rainbow Bridge to run through sprinklers together.

To the most beautiful soul I’ve ever met, thank you for the best nine years that you and God have ever given me. Our bond was stronger than anything on this Earth. You were the closest thing I ever had to a little sister, even if you had four legs and ate dog food. You forever hold the biggest place in my heart as the best dog anybody could ever have, as the best friend anybody could ever have.

Thank you for all you have ever done for me, Sasha. You will forever be my best friend.

I love you so much and I miss you even more,
Jenny