Wise Words From Women You NEED To Know

Wise Words From Women You NEED To Know

Words may be the most powerful form of Girl Power.

116
Wise Words From Women You NEED To Know

Marianne Williamson is a spiritual leader, lecturer, and New York Times bestselling author. Malala Yousafzai is a survivor of terrorism and Nobel Peace Prize winning advocate for young girls. Lena Dunham is an actress, author, screenwriter, and producer. Tara Stiles is an NYC model turned yoga guru.

What do all of these women have in common (other than being totally badass and amazing and smart and brilliant and feminist?)

Their words are absof*ckinglutely wise. And you need to know them, right now:

1. “We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be?” –Marianne Williamson

2. “I’ve been lucky. I had one great marriage, I have three great children and four grandchildren. I am still alive. I still can function. I still can work. You just learn to cope with whatever you have to cope with. I spent my childhood in New York, riding on subways and buses. And you know what you learn if you’re a New Yorker? The world doesn’t owe you a damn thing.” –Lauren Bacall

3. “Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself.” –Tara Stiles

4. “I never thought I’d have children; I never thought I’d be in love, I never thought I’d meet the right person. Having come from a broken home—you kind of accept that certain things feel like a fairy tale, and you just don’t look for them.” –Angelina Jolie

5. “I am a paradox within my own self. I am faithful and yet detached. I am committed and yet relaxed, sociable but also a loner. I love no one but yet, everyone. I am gentle and yet I am tough. I am passionate but can also be platonic.” Kate from Humans of Portland.

6. "People dump us. Hey, even Marilyn Monroe was treated like crap by various men. Even goddamn, luminescent, Marilyn freakin’ Monroe.” –Arianne Richmonde

7. “When I graduated college I had a series of just humiliating jobs that I couldn’t believe I was at.” –Lena Dunham

8. “You could be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” –Dita Von Teese

9. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” –Oprah Winfrey

10. “I’m not a sexy person. I’m OK with it. I’ve never been the sexy girl. Whenever I’ve had a boyfriend, he’s always been like, “Oh, you’re cute.” –Lauren Conrad

11. “I say I am stronger than fear.” –Malala Yousafzai

12. “You ruin your life by choosing the wrong person. What is it with our need to fast-track relationships? Why are we so enamored with the idea of first becoming somebody’s rather than somebodies? Trust me when I say that a love bred out of convenience, a love that blossoms from the need to sleep beside someone, a love that caters to our need for attention rather than passion, is a love that will not inspire you at 6 a.m. when you roll over and embrace it. Strive to discover foundational love, the kind of relationship that motivates you to be a better man or woman, the kind of intimacy that is rare rather than right there. 'But I don’t want to be alone,' we often exclaim. Be alone. Eat alone, take yourself on dates, sleep alone. In the midst of this you will learn about yourself. You will grow, you will figure out what inspires you, you will curate your own dreams, your own beliefs, your own stunning clarity, and when you do meet the person who makes your cells dance, you will be sure of it, because you are sure of yourself. Wait for it. Please, I urge you to wait for it, to fight for it, to make an effort for it if you have already found it, because it is the most beautiful thing your heart will experience.” –Bianca Sparacino

13. “My agent said, “You aren’t good enough for movies.” I said, “You’re fired.” –Sally Field

14. “If you have ever done me wrong just know my mom knows and she doesn’t like you.” –Piper Lou Renee

15. “The weirdest names build the toughest people. I have every intention of giving my daughters interesting, anything-but-cookie-cutter names, and I think everyone should do the same. There are enough Megans, Janes and Annas in the world. A strong name makes a strong woman…Anyone who says her name will have to hold the weight of that name in his or her mouth. It’s heavy and thick. It has power to it. It feels like velvet while other names feel like silk. She who holds an uncommon name has an uncommon life. She has meaning beyond the norm.” -Garrison “Gigi” Engle

16. “I choose totally by instinct. And the only time I’ve ever gone against my instincts, I’ve regretted it.” –Julia Roberts

17. “What’s coming will come and we’ll just have to meet it when it does.” –JK Rowling

18. “You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy.” –Erica Jong

19. “So stop waiting for Fridays, and stop waiting for summers, and stop waiting for someone to fall in love with you, because those things will happen. But in the meantime, enjoy right now." –Lucy Sutcliffe

20. “I’m not that good looking…nobody is that good looking. I have seen a lot of movie stars, and maybe four are amazing looking. The rest have a team of gay guys who make it happen.” –Tina Fey

21. “It’s pretty rare to find someone you actually like to be with in this world. There are a lot of annoying people out there.” –Sarah Dessen