Wisdom is a gift that comes from the Holy Spirit.

Wisdom From The Holy Spirit

Your faith should not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:5

26
https://www.pexels.com/photo/brown-book-page-1112048/

We live in a world where information is all over the place. We can access so much data with just a touch of a button. However, does all of this knowledge make us any wiser?

Wisdom is a gift from the Holy Spirit. We can get knowledge from the media/Internet, but we cannot get wisdom from it. True wisdom involves the practice of Godly living. It involves us learning about Jesus and how He lived on Earth. It involves us taking a step into the Word and applying that knowledge to our life.

"Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual." - 1 Corinthians 2:12-13

In 1 Corinthians, Paul says "your faith should not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God". As Christians, I believe we know what that means but do we realize what that means? See, to know something and to realize something are completely different things. When you know something, you are familiar with it. But when you realize something, that means to fulfill it. I think we KNOW that we should listen to God and not the opinions of men, but I don't think we REALIZE that.

We get on social media, watch tv/movies, read books and at the end of it all, we want to be like those people. We want to be like famous people because so many people like them or because they have power and money. We want to be like the heroes in the movies because they are inspiring. But we need to actually live like our faith rests in God alone, not men.

Now, I'm not saying to never read a book or watch a movie again. I'm not saying that those people who make movies or write books are not inspiring or worth living like. But I am saying that we need to spend more of our time focused on Jesus and more on how to live like Him, rather than on a tv screen.

We need to ask ourselves:

"Where does my identity come from? Is it coming more from other's opinions of me or from the truth scripture says of me?"

"Where do I gain assurance from? Is it from the promises of God or from the voices of those around me?"

"Who do I look up to? Is it movie/tv characters or the characteristics of Jesus?"

"How do I make sense of life? Is that from novels and movies or from God's story of creation and redemption?"

These questions should challenge us on how to live our lives according to God's purpose for us. We need to rest our faith in Him, alone.