Winter Weather Driving Tips For A Southerner

Tips and tricks for safe driving in snow and sleet—safely.

340
safedriving.files.wordpress.com

Our country is graced with having the geographical location to have what feels like multiple seasons all at the same time, depending on what state you live in. If there's one thing Southerners are known for besides the sweet tea, heavy accents, and the trucks, it's our awesome ability to not be able to drive in winter weather. Here's how to survive the snow!

1. Don't freak out!

There are memes plastering the internet of southern driving in the snow, with the most common being the one comparing southern driving versus northern driving. Like that one up there. Our main problem is we freak out and forget how to drive with common sense.

2. Keep up with your car

One of the most important things to do when approaching winter in the South is to make sure your car is up to date. Check all of your fluids and your windshield wiper blades to ensure they're in proper order. Check your tire pressure often (you can fill these with the right amount yourself at a gas station.) Make sure your tires aren't bald! Having bald tires in the winter is one of the most dangerous things to do, driving wise. If you thought hydroplaning was bad, this is a whole new level.

3. Keep these in your car

I was essentially raised by my grandparents from Illinois. This being said, I was always taught to keep a few essential things in my car.

A. An ice scraper: Ya know, the thing you use to scrape ice off your windshield with.

B. A flashlight: You never know if your smartphone featuring a flashlight will die and you're suddenly in the dark on the side of the road. Keep one in there.

C. A blanket: Always plan for a less than worse case scenario. Keep a blanket in your car in the event that you can't start your car and get stranded on the side of the road. The goal here is to avoid hypothermia.

4. Don't. Freak. Out!

Seriously guys. It's just snow.

5. Pay more attention

No matter how well you think you know those backroads, you don't know them when they're icy. Take heed of those suggested safe speed signs, and then go a little slower. People forget common sense when driving (all the time) in the snow. Around this time of year is hunting season (I apologize to the hunters reading this if I'm wrong in some way) so the deer are on the move. My car has had more than its fair share of deer encounters, but I would hate to think of what could happen if I wasn't being so careful when the roads are icy. Your life is more important than your curfew.

6. Don't forget your common sense.

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Just don't lose your head, 'kay? But still, if it doesn't seem safe it probably isn't so just stay home.