Is Winter Over Yet?

Is Winter Over Yet?

A Completely Non-Meteorological Prediction of Relief

61
Is Winter Over Yet?

I saw a bug on the window this morning.

That’s right, spring is here!

Of course, it’s still the middle of February, but that’s of little concern. You can feel it in the air as you walk outside, bracing yourself for the bitter cold, but only a brisk breeze greets you instead of icy, biting wind. You can feel it in the people with whom you interact, no longer grumpy and moaning from having to shovel out their cars early in the a.m., but rather friendly and more willing to give you their space in line than a month before.

You can feel it through the trees as the snow melts on the ground, leaving dry and brittle grass behind, which will soon be green and lush with fertile vegetation.

You can see it in yourself, as happy music plays on the car radio and instead of turning it down in a moody fashion, you catch yourself tapping your foot to the beat and smiling in the rearview mirror.

Yep, spring is definitely coming.

That’s certainly a good thing, because I think that winter was putting everyone into a particularly baleful mood, even if we didn’t get that much snow this year. I myself am yearning for spring days, complete with mild weather, a gentle breeze, and nothing better to do than take a casual stroll down to the beach with a few good friends.

I think everyone is feeling summer vibes as well. Stores have already started to put out their selection of swimwear and warm weather apparel; pastel colors dominate the visual palette instead of the muted grays, browns, and blacks of the typical winter ensemble.

I’m certainly glad to live in an area where we experience all four seasons, even if three months out of the year I’m forced to endure bracing wind and weather that dares to dip below zero while I am armed nearly for battle with a down coat, scarf, gloves, and knit hat. Arctic temperatures notwithstanding, it’s nice to undergo the changing of the seasons and look forward to the sunny relief of summer during the bitter cold, the cool respite of snowy afternoons during scorching, sweaty midsummer nights.

After a long, unpleasant winter, it’s not uncommon to want for warmer weather ahead. Many of us may already be trading out tough-heeled boots and longwearing coats for comfy sneakers and lighter jackets. As I type this people may be getting a head start on spring cleaning, opening the windows to clear out the stale, musty air and let in the first hint of sunlight.

There’s a lot to look forward to for spring. Warmer weather, more get-togethers with friends and family, long weekends, peppy music, and a veritable break from the snow. I can practically hear the birds chirping, smell the barbeques cooking, feel the warm breeze on my skin, and despite what the weathermen say about cold fronts and warm fronts I have a feeling that nicer temperatures will be here before we know it.

Spring is definitely here.