4 Reasons Leaving Home For College Is Harder After Winter Break

Just when you think you weren't going to get homesick, break gives you every reason why you don't want to go back.

220

It was one thing leaving for the first semester. You're so excited to see what life has to offer you in this new chapter, you're sick of your surrounding and you're just ready for a new beginning.

But just when you think you didn't miss home, your university teases you by giving you this month-long winter break that brings back every reminder on why you missed it.

1. You get used to being home.

At first it feels so weird to be home after being at school for so long. You’re so used to walking down the hall to see your friends, staying up all hours of the night, and no rules (hardest one to come back to after being away from it).

But in a matter of hours, you fall back into this routine you had at being home all your life. You finally have your car; you can just get in and go anywhere at any time of the day. There will always be something special about getting with your high school friends and catching up on everything you’ve missed out on in each other life the past four months.

2. Your stomach finally got used to “normal” food.

Not that the college you go to doesn’t have decent food, but there is nothing like Grandma's pasta and homemade sauce.

You catch yourself not even wanting to go out to eat with your friends when they ask you to because you missed how good a homecooked meal actually was. There is nothing like eating a homecooked meal surrounded by your family.

3. You realize how much work you’ll have to do when you go back to school.

If there was one thing I didn’t miss about school it was definitely the school work. Not having to worry about studying or panicking at 11 p.m. about what has to be turned in at 12 midnight was the best part of the whole break.

College work is no joke, and before the new semester even started, I know you were laying in bed thinking about the amount of work you were going to have after syllabus week.

4. Dog cuddles are the best cuddles.

After a bad day in your hometown, you knew that you would be lavished by kisses from your furry best friend. There is no love like the love you get from your animal back at home.

Even though taking them out for those late night walks in the freezing cold were a pain in the butt, they were all worth it at the end of the day when they curled up next to you as you watched your favorite Netflix show.