6 Winnie The Pooh Quotes To Help You Survive College

College can be scary, but luckily Winnie the Pooh and Friends have got some excellent advice.

1810
Instagram

We all know the lovable, honey obsessed bear named Winnie the Pooh from the Hundred Acre Wood. The children’s book written by A.A. Milne is widely adored by many around the world. This book transitioned into being made into a cartoon with many movie counterparts, as well as making many stuffed animals and children toys on top of that. This world, however, has also provided people with something that many others fail to do: helpful advice for real life struggles.

As new college freshmen, our world has completely changed. From having our mom's home cooked meals and laundry done without a say to having to do it all on our own, the switch can be completely drastic for some. We set out from home on a new adventure, bright eyed and hoping only for the best as we all reach for our dreams. Now, if you are like me, this also came with a lot nerves.

The Winnie the Pooh series however, has got our backs.

Here are 6 quotes that I lived by to ensure I had the best first year away from home attending school.

1. “You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

Making friends in college can be hard, especially if you know virtually no one on campus. You have to not be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and talk to people. Sitting in your dorm room all alone isn’t fun, so venture out! Join campus clubs, eat lunch with people, and be sure to converse with the people on your floor. We all are just as nervous as you are, so don’t be afraid to leave your “forest” and strike a conversation.

2. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

College is difficult. I found out the hard way that studying is a very real thing that will consume more of your time than you’d want. This can add a lot of stress upon a person trying to figure out when to do things for every class. The number one thing that I’ve learned is to plan accordingly and to not put off anything until the last minute. Deadlines are a very real thing and will catch up to you before you have time to say, “Oh Bother.” Make a plan in a weekly agenda and stick to it. Never try to rush through any assignments, but instead give yourself decent time to get through everything. The stress may still exist, but at least this way it can be slightly more manageable.

3. “Think it over, think it under.”

Branching off of our last topic, college testing isn’t scary. I was so nervous for my first ever exam, and I’m not embarrassed to say that I didn’t ace it. I had gotten such bad test anxiety because I had to go out and buy my own scantron and then only had 55 minutes to take the test, that I completely forgot to think while testing. I made many silly mistakes that could have been avoided if I had just breathed. So, when your exams come around, don’t freak out. You’ve studied and are prepared to take the test, so sit down and think about each question. Remember that your professors actually do want you to pass their tests and are also available for office hours throughout the weeks before the exams to help you. So, sit down, breathe, and take a moment to think.

4. “It is hard to be brave, when you're only a Very Small Animal.”

Being a freshman can be scary. The campus is packed with people of all ages, and you’ll find that that’s how your classes are as well. Sometimes you might find yourself feeling nervous or overwhelmed due to being the youngest on campus. Instead, use this to help you. If you’re lost on campus, ask for help. If you’re confused about anything academic, ask your teachers, peers, or advisor. Everyone on campus is there for the same purpose that you are, to learn. As a first year student, things can be rather difficult as you start to grasp what exactly this college thing is and how it works. Be courageous and ask for help if you need it, we’ve all been there.

5. “A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.”

The Freshman 15 is a legitimate thing. Walk around, go to the gym, eat healthy. All of these things are simple to do, but can take some effort to actually want to do. Trust me, I know being lazy and watching Netflix on a Sunday morning is a great experience. However, sometimes you have to sacrifice this to go to a morning yoga class or on an evening run. It may be a pain at first, but it really does make you feel accomplished at the end of the day.

6. “And really, it wasn’t much good having anything exciting like floods, if you couldn’t share them with somebody.”

My last quote that I have to present you today is the most important one. College is going to give you countless stories, accomplishments, and heartbreaks that you’ll want to share with someone. Who is better than your very own parents. Always be sure to keep your parents updated on your life.

Even just a simple text here and there can really help soothe a worried parent's mind. So call them up out of the blue, send them a text, let them know that you are happy because at the end of the day that’s all they really hope you are. Let your parents know how thankful you are.

College is a very scary thing to jump into. The campus is huge, the people are new, and the school work seems intense. Sometimes all you need however is to recall your childhood to help get you through some stressful weeks!