Willy Wonka's Words of Wisdom

Willy Wonka's Words of Wisdom

As we say goodbye to Gene Wilder, take a closer look at the intelligence behind his most iconic role.

1813
Willy Wonka's Words of Wisdom
lovelacemedia.igmix.net

Gene Wilder, one of the greatest actors of all time, passed away on August 29th at the age of 83. Wilder died in his home at Stamford, Connecticut, after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer’s Disease (New York Times). Long before a legendary partnership with satirical film director Mel Brooks, Wilder took on his most iconic role as the eccentric candy maker Willy Wonka.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a true gem in the treasure chest of Hollywood, discovered by filmgoers generation after generation. It is a feast for the eyes and reminds audiences that good things will always happen to good people. Perhaps the most memorable character is Mr. Wonka himself; almost everything he says is as quotable as it is philosophical.

Below is a list of Willy Wonka’s best lines (listed in the order they were spoken by Wilder) and a brief interpretation following each line. Enjoy, and when in doubt, ask yourself: what would Wonka do?

1. “Oh, you should never, never, doubt what nobody is sure about.” Always believe in the impossible. Unless the information you are told has been proven false by science, who can say it isn’t true?

2. “Living there, you’ll be free… if you truly wish to be.” When it comes down to it, we are all in charge of our own destiny. We can be as happy as we want to be.

3. “Time is a precious thing; never waste it.” Our lives are short and ought to be put to good use. Making the most of our time on Earth is the first step to happiness.

4. “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.” Creativity comes from within. Some of the world’s most brilliant inventions started off as ideas that were scoffed at, but they evolved into revolutions because the inventors refused to let naysayers bring them down.

5. “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” We all need to do what we need to do, but we need to make time just to have fun. As you drive down the road of life, pull over once in a while and take a rest.

6. “If the Good Lord had intended us to walk, he wouldn’t have invented roller skates.” There is more than one way to solve a problem. We could do everything by the book, but we do not always have to. Bending the rules is healthy—so long as we don’t hurt ourselves or others in the process.

7. “So shines a good deed in a weary world.” It is always important to do the right thing. Ours is a world of sadness, frustration and poverty. Just doing as small act of charity when you are able to can make a huge difference.

8. “Don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted… he lived happily ever after.” Maybe you are someone who is heartbroken. Maybe you are someone who is stressed. Maybe you are someone who is frustrated. Whatever your story is, know that your day in the sun is on its way. Keep doing what you’re doing; good things happen to good people.

I first saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I was eight years old. Gene Wilder taught me about Karma; Charlie Bucket, a boy without a penny to his name, always thought of others before himself. Wonka recognized this and knew there would be no better person to take over his factory. So thank you, Mr. Wilder, for teaching me that what goes around comes around.