I Will Not Be Silenced

I Will Not Be Silenced

"Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong." 1 Cor. 16:13

56
I Will Not Be Silenced
Marissa Gifford Photography

We live in a nation in which freedom of speech and religion is a prominent and vital characteristic of our name and foundation. We also live in a nation that has become extremely unaccepting and biased in that aspect. Most importantly, we live in a society where the Word of God is being pushed away and disregarded. Today, to call yourself a "Christian" is frowned upon and turns people away. If you relate anything to Jesus Christ, people immediately want nothing to do with anything you have to say. The Bible clearly states to love one another and to do all we do in love. But let me tell you, my friend--there is a fine line between doing in love and being silent. Too often, we preach love, and the second we are disagreed with by someone of opposing beliefs, we are called intolerant and hypocrites.

All of these years, we have mistaken standing for what is truth for acting out of hate, and in turn we have remained silent; I will not be silent any longer. We have reached a time where our nation, and our world needs to hear the truth more than ever. We are commanded to do all we do in love, but we are also commanded to be bold. In Acts 4:13 it says, "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common men, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus." Jesus used Peter and John to preach the gospel. They were bold, regardless of the opinions of those around them. Both of these men were apostles and were later put to death for their faith. These men, among many others, spoke truth to everyone, regardless of how it made others feel. In fact, Christians in Bible days had it a ton times worse than Christians today do. That does not mean, however, that we should ignore the amount of hate spewed toward Christ on daily basis in the present. Right now, those who don't agree with the Christian lifestyle are commanding we don't speak out against anything they have to say. The idea of "freedom of speech" is being used as an excuse to vandalize property and to beat others senseless.

Through the constant changing and intolerant society we live in, we must remain bold. Being bold doesn't mean we will certainly die for our faith, but it does mean we are meant to be prepared to. After all, Jesus didn't deny knowing us the day He gave His life on the cross, so why should we deny Him?

It's okay to disagree; but, ultimately, the truth is the truth, and the truth is Jesus. I don't condemn anyone--I never have. I do not insult someone because they disagree with me. And I surely do not go out and hurt others or vandalize property, or even threaten to do any such thing, just because someone said or did something I don't agree with. But even in times like this, I cannot stress enough how important it is to remain bold. It isn't to become intolerable, or to refuse to hear what others have to say, or to have an excuse to hate your neighbor. We are still called to love, and to do all we do in love. The best way to reach others to Christ is through His love. But there is still a fine line between doing in love and being silent. We must not let others and their opinions on how we believe affect the energy we have for Christ. We mustn't let the fear of someone hating us for our relationship with the Almighty God keep us from sharing the truth with this ever-so-crumbling world we live in. The truth is the truth, and we were put on this earth to share the truth with others. I will not let someone tell me that I can't worship the very God who created me. I will not let someone tell me to stop sharing the good news. I will not stop, and I will not be silenced.

Matthew 24:9-13

"Then you will be arrested, persecuted, and killed. You will be hated all over the world because you are My followers. And many will turn away from me and betray and hate each other. And many false prophets will appear and will deceive many people. Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end will be saved."