Will Overturning Roe v. Wade End Abortion?

There is more than what meets the eyes when it comes to ending abortion.

1
Flickr

Abortion is a controversial topic in American politics. Like every other topic in America, the citizens of this country are split into two groups when it comes to abortion. On one side, there is the pro-life group that disagrees with the idea of abortions because they believe that when an abortion occurs, a helpless life is taken. The other half of the American population belongs to the pro-choice group, which believes a woman should have the right to an abortion. Pro-choicers believe that women deserve the liberty to choose what happens in their reproductive systems. With America split down the middle on abortion, it is difficult for America to give the people what they want.

Personally, I am not comfortable with the idea of an abortion. If I were ever in the situation with a girl where an abortion was an option for handling the situation, I would do my best not to pick that option. Part of being a responsible human being is manning up to life and handling situations that result from one's actions. Also, children are the key to making a better future. Yes, that does sound like my Christian beliefs, but it has more than a religious root to it. When you take everything social, religious, etc. out of human beings and look at us as if we were just like any other species in this world, our basic purpose on this earth is to create offspring and extend the life of the human race. Killing unborn babies would hinder the human species' rate of reproduction and reduce the length of its existence. Also, babies are cute. If you walk into room that has a baby in it and do not start feeling all gooey on the inside because of how cute it is, then you are not human (just kidding, this is just my soft side). Simply, I view the concept of abortions as illogical.

Something that I think is even more illogical is the idea that overturning the Supreme Court’s ruling on Roe v. Wade is the appropriate way to handle abortions. Roe v. Wade is crucial to upholding a woman’s rights regarding what is done with her reproductive system. Taking it away would lead to women losing reproductive rights that they need and deserve. Plus, it does not end abortions. Instead, it simply ends legal abortions while other forms of abortions would proliferate. There other ways a woman can abort a baby that would kill the baby and also put the woman’s life in danger. The only way to bring down abortion rates is to figure out why women get abortions. Why do women feel the need to get an abortion? If pro-lifers can figure out the answer to that question, then they will get their way on topic of abortion.

Women get abortions because their pleas for help are ignored. Women in America have asked for better maternity leave policies. America has answered by being one of the few first world countries that does not require companies to have paid maternity leave. Women have asked for better access to healthcare and medication. America has answered by allowing the pharmaceutical industry to continue raising the cost of healthcare. Women have asked for justice when they are raped. America has answered by allowing rapists like Brock Turner to walk free after committing rape. The list of women’s unanswered pleas for help goes on and on.

America. Wake up. If you really want to do something about abortion, you need to look past the overturning of Roe v. Wade. We cannot expect for something to change when we are ignoring abortion’s contributing factors. We need to work towards getting women the help for which they have been asking.