Will 2017 NFC Division Winners Be Better, Worse, Or The Same In 2018?

A look at some of the key additions and departures for 2017 NFL division winners, and how that affects their chances to repeat this upcoming season.

150

"Anything can happen on any given Sunday." So goes the old adage that every NFL fan is familiar with. It's an old saying, but a true one, and part of what makes the NFL so much fun to follow. Every game is different, and every team is different year to year. The teams that win their division hope to repeat the following year, but given the unpredictability of the league, there will always be turnover. Without further ado, let's dive in and see which 2017 NFC division winners will be better, worse, or stay the same.

*AFC Rankings will be revealed next week

NFC East: 2017 Division Winner: Philadelphia Eagles (13-3), Super Bowl Champions

Key Additions: DE Michael Bennett, DT Haloti Ngata, WR Mike Wallace, TE Dallas Goedert (Rookie)

Key Departures: LB Mychal Kendricks, WR Torrey Smith, DE Vinny Curry, TE Trey Burton

2018 Fate: Worse

Although the Eagles already boast the best defensive line in the NFL, they added a stud defensive end in Bennett, and a veteran nose tackle in Ngata who will provide quality rotational snaps. That spot could be even better than last year. The team will also welcome back electric running back Darren Sproles, MVP candidate, QB Carson Wentz, and veteran OT Jason Peters, all of which suffered ACL injuries that ended their seasons early. That being said, it's almost impossible for a Super Bowl winning team to improve. Philadelphia will face tougher competition from all three teams in their division, and they will be hard-pressed to recreate the magic that fueled their improbable road to NFL champions, led by backup QB Nick Foles. One thing to watch with Wentz; will he play more conservatively due to his injury? His ability to extend plays with his athleticism is one of his best traits.

NFC North: 2017 Division Winners: Minnesota Vikings (13-3)

Key Additions: QB Kirk Cousins, DE Sheldon Richardson, CB Mike Hughes (Rookie)

Key Departures: QB Case Keenum, RB Jerick McKinnon

2018 Fate: Worse

The Vikings were already one of the best teams in football last year, led by the best defense in the league, and like the Eagles, they added a significant piece to the D-line in Sheldon Richardson. They're loaded at every position on their defense. And on offense, the team boasts what could be the best WR duo in the league in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Now the team has upgraded the most important position in sports by bringing in Cousins, who is finally going to be a franchise QB. Add back second year RB Dalvin Cook (who looked phenomenal before tearing his ACL last season), and this Vikings team could again be poised to be playing in late January. So why will they be worse in 2018? I just don't think they'll get to 13 wins again this season. Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur is gone, who was a large reason for their offensive success last season. I also believe that the NFC North will be significantly more competitive. Chicago and Detroit should both improve, and Green Bay gets back the NFL's most dominant thrower-of-the-football.

NFC South Division Winners: New Orleans Saints (11-5)

Key Additions: DE Marcus Davenport (Rookie), TE Benjamin Watson, WR Cameron Meredith

Key Departures: S Kenny Vaccaro, OT Zach Streif (Retired), TE Coby Fleener

2018 Fate: Better

2017 was an incredible year for the Saints. They hit the jackpot with their rookie class, drafting the Offensive Rookie of the Year in dynamic RB Alvin Kamara, and also the Defensive Rookie of the Year in borderline shutdown CB Marshon Lattimore. They didn't just stop there, as they added others who could also be long-term building blocks, such as S Marcus Williams and OT Ryan Ramcyzk. Drew Brees is still playing at a high level, and as long as these young players continue to perform around the future Hall of Famer, there's no question the Saints can repeat. New Orleans gave up a lot to get first round pass-rusher Davenport, who is a big boom-or-bust type of player. The Saints are counting on him to have an impact opposite stalwart DE Cam Jordan. The NFC South is always competitive, so watch how the four-game suspension of starting RB Mark Ingram affects the team. Alvin Kamara will now take the lion's share of touches, and it'll be interesting to see if he can handle that workload.

NFC West Division Winners: Los Angeles Rams (11-5)

Key Additions: CB Aqib Talib, CB Marcus Peters, DT Ndamukong Suh, WR Brandin Cooks

Key Departures: LB Alec Ogletree, CB Trumaine Johnson

Fate: Better

The Rams were the wunderkind of the NFL last season led by the youngest coach in the league in Sean McVay. He proved his offensive genius by crafting an expansive offense around RB Todd Gurley and by turning around 2016 #1 overall pick, QB Jared Goff, who some claimed was well on his way to being a bust. McVay then turned him into a Pro-Bowler. The Rams now add several of the best players in the league at their respective positions to an already impressive roster. Peters and Talib should form the most aggressive and talkative CB tandem in the league (Michael Crabtree will be having nightmares), while adding Suh next to Aaron Donald on the D-line is almost unfair. Brandin Cooks adds a speed element that the offense was missing, and will post a career year barring injury. As long as McVay can control all the big personalities, this is a team poised to win 12 or more games. San Francisco poses the biggest challenge, as long as Jimmy GQ is as good as they say. This should be a fun rivalry to watch for years to come.